Chapter 4

LEAVES RUSTLED AS Sebastian stalked past. Why was she so infuriating? So what if they had just met? So what if she was innocent? They threw her into a battle of skill and wit against other people who would win at any cost. Sebastian came to a stop and slammed his right foot into the dirt, sending falling leaves floating around him.

No, he was wrong. That was the very reason Annalysia infuriated him. He was used to guilty women in the arena. She was innocent and harmless, like he was before the government experimented and made him the ultimate warrior in the arena. "The first kill is the hardest," a friend had told him. "After that, all other kills become easier. Unless they were in here for murder, no one wants to engage in warfare."

Sebastian let out a heavy sigh. The wind howled around him. He turned back the way he came. He had to find her and protect her. Then when everyone else in the arena fell at his feet, she would earn her freedom.

Several gunshots echoed in the air, followed by gongs pulling him from his thoughts. Sebastian raced down the path he had come from as a scream pierced the evening sky. His heart skipped a beat. The scream sounded like a woman. He raised a silent prayer as he raced. Would she be unharmed? Did one of the gang members shoot to scare her? So many questions burned in his mind, filled by a single prayer. Let her be alright.

A man's shadow emerged from the treeline. His hair was messy, his arms covered in blood. Clearly this man had been in a fight. "Help me," He moaned. Sebastian pulled his scythe out and rushed forward. The man reached out. Sebastian raced his blade and slammed it into him as he passed. He continued onwards. Bodies littered the ground as he progressed. Plunging his scythe into each of the chest cavity. He paused in the center of the blood browl. He glanced around, his eyes resting on Annalysia. Her arms shook, her eyes wide.

"What happened?" Sebastian asked. He kneeled down beside her. Her chest heaved from heavy panting. He stooped down next to her. Her hand set on the barrel of her gun. There was no reason she could have killed someone. From how she handled the pistol, he figured she had never seen one, nonetheless shoot it. Sebastain brushed his hand against her shoulder, causing her to squeal and point the barrel at his heart. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." He grumbled.

Annalysia lowered her hand. Tears welled up in her eyes. "I didn't kill them." She whimpered. "They killed each other and I grabbed the gun." Sebastian turned his back on her. He believed her. If it wasn't for those eyes, would he even care?

Wailing sounded behind him. Sebastian angled his head and stared at her from the corner of his eye. There was visible relief that help had finally arrived. He had taken the fear of being alone and killing away from her. "Don't start crying again," he stated. "After all." He turned and faced her with a killer gleam in his eyes. "Now that you have accomplished your first kill, I can put you on my list of victims that need to meet their end." He smiled inwardly as she squirmed where she sat. There was no reason he couldn't mess with her, right?

Sebastian watched as she opened and closed her mouth. Annalysia couldn't form any words. Was it because he scared her? Who wouldn't be? When someone tells you you're their next victim, of course, that will make them terrified. A knife whirled past his head. He spun around as more men emerged from the greenery. He gripped the rod of his staff tighter, and stood his ground. Now was not the time to get sidetracked.

"We found her first, Undertaker," one man proclaimed, "she is all ours."

"Are you forgetting why I am called Undertaker?"

Closing his eyes, Sebastian focused on the surrounding energy. Leaves crunched as the men progressed forward. He opened his eyes; the dried leaves glowed a solid green. Men rushed from every side. He swung his scythe and the leaves obeyed. They lifted into the air and sliced through the woman's attackers.

One man jumped and dodged the attack. He rushed forward and pulled a gun. Annalysia screamed and curled up against the tree trunk. Sebastian turned into her direction and chewed on his bottom lip. She needed protection. He threw his hand outwards before throwing them upwards. The leaves raised into the air with the motion. Sebastian rarely used this ability but it was his most powerful. The man took a step back. Sebastian threw his hand downwards with the leaves joining together in an arrow, hitting the man in the skull. The man fell onto the ground.

Sebastian and Annalysia looked at one another. "You don't belong here," he said, breaking the silence. "I can see the innocence in your eyes." Annalysia dropped her gaze to the grass covered flooring beneath them. "Follow me, and I will take you to a place of refuge." He reached out his hand towards her.

Annalysia bit her lip before smacking his hand back. "Why, so you can have your way with me?" she spat.

Sebastian pulled his hand back and kept his gaze trained on her. She was scared and ended up in the middle of the worst battle in the forest. He didn't blame her for being so shy and skittish at the moment.

Sebastian set his jaw tight. "So I can protect you from animals like these men who would."