The Lunch (AKA Steamed Hams but it's a scene from a TAWOG episode)

The doorbell at the Wattersons' house rang, making someone's arrival and presence known.

Gumball skipped merrily downstairs to the front door, expecting someone he loved standing outside.

When he opened the door, his expectation was correct.

There at the front door was Penny, the golden shape-shifting ferry who he invited for a date the previous night. The sight of her caused his face to brighten up into a cute lovestruck smile and his big eyes to twinkle. From what I can tell, he probably saw her in slow motion and heard an angelic choir in the background.

"Hi, Gumball. I got the invitation and made it" said Penny.

Gumball shook his head out of his daydream and blushed bright red. "Oh, hi Penny. Welcome. Hope you're prepared for an unforgettable lunch at La cuisine de Gumball" he said, quickly facepalming at the cheesiness of that name.

Penny chuckled at Gumball's attempt at a fancy French restaurant name as she entered the house.

Just as Penny took a seat on the couch, decorated as romantically as possible, Gumball left for the kitchen-"[GASP]". Gumball's eyes widened in horror when he saw smoke exiting the stove. Shutting the door and peaking inside the oven, his hopes for this smooth and easy date were dashed. "NOOOO! WHY!? MY ROAST IS RUINED!" he screamed melodramatically at the sight of his "Watterson Chicken Surprise" burning in the oven. He really should be more careful when cooking.

Gumball felt his heart pound in synch with his hyperventilating, panicking about the reality of the situation. Would Penny understand? Would she get furious? As she's a shapeshifter, making her angry is just as horrifying as angering his mother. He needed to come up with a strategy, and he needed to come up with one quick!

His panic was halted by the faint sight of a sign over the horizon reading "Joyful Burger". Recognising the logo on top, an idea began to click together in Gumball's head. "But what if...I were to purchase fast food and disguise it as my own cooking?" he thought. He began to laugh maniacally as his eyes turned yellow with thin red pupils, convinced his idea was so crazy it just might succeed. "Delightfully Devious, Gumball" he hissed.

He hopped onto the sink and opened the window, ready to enact his idea...

"Uh..."

He froze when he heard Penny enter the kitchen, most likely hearing his manic laughter through the door. She squinted her eyes in suspicion, seeing Gumball putting one foot out the window as if he was attempting an escape.

"Penny! I was just..." fast-spoke Gumball in a panic, obviously not prepared for Penny to enter the room. Fortunately, he was able to find an excuse for resting his leg on the window. "Uh, just stretching my calves on the windowsill. Yeah. Isometric exercise. Definitely not leaving for joyful burger. Care to join me?" he said, chuckling nervously while doing exactly what he said he was doing.

Of course, that wasn't Penny's concern. "Why is there smoke coming out of the oven, Gumball?"

Gumball knew he had to practice precision thinking to excuse the smoke coming out of the oven. "Uh... Oh! That isn't smoke. It's steam. Steam from from the steamed clams we're having. Mmmm, steamed clams" he lied, rubbing his stomach while nervously grinning and sweating.

Penny raised a suspicious brow, but bought the "explanation" after looking at Gumball's smile for a few seconds, and left the room. Gumball breathed a sigh of relief and wiped the sweat from his forehead before he leapt out the window. "OW" he screamed, spraining his ankle upon impact with the concrete.