3rd Chapter

"So you want us to break into a K-Sec's home, destroy it, and then leave this card there?" I asked, wondering why Hugo thinks this is a good idea.

"No, you made it pretty clear you didn't want to do anymore runs for me. I want Ray to do it." Hugo crossed his arms and made an audible "Hmph!"

"Come on, Hugo. That was 2 years ago. When are you going to get over it?" I said, trying for my most forgiving tone.

"You certainly didn't try to make any amends." Hugo pointed out. "And, let's not forget, that you two left that data chip in Henry Burk's apartment! We could've learned so much from that chip!"

Ah, yes. The run to the famous K-Sec officer Henry Burk's home. Hugo had somehow gotten his hands on this data chip that was locked up tight. It supposedly had all kinds of rare information on it. Prisoner intel, base locations, and patrol positions. But it was locked and the only way to unlock it was to plug it into Burk's computer and give it a couple of minutes. The run was incredibly risky and in hindsight, I definitely shouldn't have done it. Burk is famously hard on Runners and he tried to kill me that night. In fact, he almost did.

I still have dreams about it. The gunshot ringing out and the terrible sound that was stuck in my head. The hard, cold floor that I was laying on as Henry tried to strangle me to death. His tough, and deadly fingers wrapped around my throat, closing and tightening.

Sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat and I swear I can still feel his hands around my neck.

Other times I wake up and all I can remember is Rina fighting Burk and getting hurt. And that's the worst dream of all.

"Hold on, is breaking into a K-Sec's home a normal thing for you? How many Runners have actually been successful in that?" Rina asked Hugo, and making a good point.

"What do you mean? You and Cade made it in." Hugo argued and looked to me, like I would back him up on this issue.

"You can't be serious. Cade and I were almost caught, the cameras got him. That was not a successful run." Rina sighed and rolled her eyes. "I can't believe you still think that run was a good idea. Cade almost died!"

"So you just came here to see what kind of runs I'm giving out and to lecture me on how dangerous they are?" Hugo seemed royally irritated and ready to kick us out at any moment.

"Actually, we need to go on that run with Ray." I spoke hoping going on this run isn't as bad of an idea as it seems to be. "I know you always need more runners. Why send one Runner when you can send three?"

Hugo's eyes switched from looking at me to looking at Rina in a very sceptical way. He knows that we don't actually want to be here, but he can't figure out why.

"Fine." Hugo said finally. "You guys can go. But Ray gets half the pay and you two only get a quarter." As unfair as that seemed, I was sure that was the only deal we were going to get.

"Alright. Sounds good." Rina shook Hugo's hand as a way to seal the deal. It was just then that Ray showed up. He took one look at Rina and Hugo shaking hands and then he groaned.

"Hugo," He whined and his shoulders dropped. "Why are those two here?"

Hugo began explaining everything that had just happened. Rina and I sat down on one of the couches Hugo had in his place. It's just a small place with only three rooms really. A bathroom, bedroom, and then a living room/kitchen. It's pretty cozy for someone who's living alone.

"So I heard Noah found a place for a new safe house." Rina told me while Ray began to argue with Hugo about going on a run with us. I guess he doesn't find us to be much fun.