Chapter Eight: The Fucking Project.

The semester went on, and Salem hasn't written a single word of her essay about the Salem Witch Trials. 

"We are starting presentations today," Mrs. Plantouli announced. "Jacob, you're up first."

The assignment was to construct something about the Salem Witch Trials as long as it had all the information. Most kids chose a diagram with labels or a Powerpoint. Salem chose an essay. That would guarantee she wouldn't win but would still get full credit. 

"Salem, would you like to go second?" the teacher asked, writing the list on the board. 

Salem tilted back in her chair. "No," she said. "I left it at home. I'll present tomorrow."

Her name appeared on the list for first thing tomorrow and she stifled a sigh. Jacob stood up and began blabbering his way through his presentation complete with pictures and his own drawings, which were completely offensive. Salem bit back her insults at the misinformation because she knew that it would cause more problems than if she stayed quiet. 

Finally, the class came to an end. 

"Hey Salem," Teresa said as she met her outside the classroom. She put her arm around her shoulders and she messed with her brown hair. "Having trouble with your project?" she asked innocently. 

Salem pushed her off. "Don't touch me," she said. "And there's nothing wrong with my project. You're not even in my English class."

Tobias came around the corner and looked between the girls. "You guys are friends?"

Salem snorted. "Never in a million years." She walked away before anyone could say anything else.  She hoped that she could get to history without any other interruptions but Tobias caught up to her and fell into step with her. 

"How did you presentation go?" he asked. 

She chuckled. "Haven't done it. I'll pull something together tonight."

"You haven't done it?" His eyes grew. "Dude, you've had all semester."

"I know," she said, shrugging. "I didn't want to do it."

Tobias stepped in front of her so she had to stop and look at him. "What's going on?" he asked. 

"Are you still dating Teresa?" she asked. 

"Yeah, why?" 

Salem rolled her eyes and rubbed her eye. "No reason, just..." She debated telling him about Teresa but decided against it. It would raise more problems than if she just dealt with it without making it his problem too. "I'm good. I'm just tired."

Tobias smiled. "Hey, why don't you come over to my house and I'll help you."

"What do you know about the Salem Witch Trials?" she asked. 

He shrugged. "More than you would think."

Salem snorted and brushed past him. "See you later."

Tobias 

Salem agreed to go to his house and she sat in the passenger seat of Tobias's car. Green Day played softly and he sang along the lyrics to American Idiot. 

"You should go on American Idol," she commented, staring out the window. 

"Stop commenting on my singing," he chided. "It makes me self-conscious."

"You don't gotta be self-conscious."

"Wow, thank you, I'm cured." He looked over at her and pulled into his driveway. 

Salem chuckled. "Dude, you didn't tell me you were rich," she said, looking at the house in front of them.

He unbuckled and turned the car off. "I'm not rich."

"You live a mansion."

"It's not a mansion."

She looked over at him. "You're talking to the girl who lives in a one-bedroom above a cafe and works instead of paying rent. This is a mansion," she said, nodding her head towards the house. 

They walked up the front doors and inside they were greeted by a woman with pink curly hair and a nose piercing. Salem's eyes widened as she looked at the woman. "Hello."

"You must be Salem," the woman greeted. "I'm Julie. Tobias's mom."

Salem nodded. "Hey." She tilted her head. "You are so not what I was expecting."

Julie smiled. "Well what were you expecting?" she asked. 

"Gay people usually look normal."

"Woah," Tobias said, looking at her. "I'm sorry, Mama. Salem can be a little blunt. She's not used to people who don't want to hurt her." He shot her a warning glare and she shrugged. 

Another woman walked into the room. She had long brown hair. "Who's this?" she asked. 

"Salem," Tobias introduced her. "Salem this is my other mom, Erika. Does she look normal enough for you?" 

Erika raised her eyebrows. "Hey, Salem. We are glad to have you. We've heard a lot about you."

"Just out of curiosity," Salem said, "what do you guys for a living?"

"I'm a doctor and Erika is a lawyer," Julie said. 

Salem looked at Tobias and raised her eyebrows. Before she could say anything, Tobias grabbed her hand and led her away. "We'll be in my room if you need us," he said. 

As they walked away Salem whispered, "I thought you said you weren't rich." To which Tobias replied with, "Hush," and closed the bedroom door.

Salem made herself comfortable on a loveseat that was in the room. "How long have they been together?" 

"Twelve years," he said. "And by the way, do you always have to speak your mind?"

She sat up. "I'm sorry. I didn't think--"

"Clearly."

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Can we start? Or should I go home and do this by myself?"

Tobias nodded. "Yeah, let's begin."

He looked at Salem laying on the loveseat on her stomach and pulling papers from her backpack. Her red hair, pulled into a ponytail, and she pulled a pair of glasses from her bag and set them on her nose. 

"I didn't know you wore glasses," Tobias said. 

Salem shrugged. "I'm supposed to wear them all the time but I don't. They help stop me from getting headaches," she said. "I don't like them. They're uncomfortable."

"They're cute," he complimented. 

She rolled her head towards him and looked at him above her glasses, smiling. "Don't go getting a crush on me now," she said sarcastically. 

Tobias rolled his eyes, however it was far too late. He fell for her a long while ago.