Lost and Found Love

She stepped out into the overbearingly hot afternoon, an overwhelming sense of loneliness washing over her as she rubbed her swollen stomach. She shifted her suitcase in one hand, a rickety old basket on her free arm holding a sleeping ginger kitten in it. She blinked away tears, fighting back memories as she hailed down a cab. Rose was going to stay with her mother and her younger sister, at least until she got on her feet. Her husband, recently deceased, had left all that he had in his name but it still wouldn’t be enough to support her and her unborn child. She waited patiently while the cabbie loaded her luggage into the back, then helped her into the cab, brushing aside a fiery red curl behind her ear. She settled herself in the back, making sure the sleeves of her dress kept her wrists covered. Her mother would be devastated if she knew of Rose’s attempt at taking her own life. She directed the cabbie where she needed to go, then closed her eyes, leaning her head against the car door with one hand resting carefully on the tiny kitten resting in her basket.

            Blinking groggily, Rose lifted her head at the sound of the driver’s gruff voice announcing their arrival at Rose’s childhood home. She released herself from the confines of the backseat and slowly struggled out, careful not to jar her little Peanut. The kitten let out a meek little noise before falling quiet again, indicating she was still asleep. Rose almost burst into tears when she saw her mother’s house and hurried up to the door while the driver retrieved her luggage from the trunk. She knocked rapidly, then waited, swaying a little on her feet. The door slowly swung open and Rose did burst into tears that time.
Her mother stood there, her usually lively blue eyes a bit dull and tired looking now. Her beautiful snowy blonde hair was tied up in a messy bun with a chopstick holding it in place and it looked as if she hadn’t bathed in a few days. “Oh, Rose!” Her mother exclaimed, pulling her in close and hugging her tightly. From further within the house, Rose could hear her younger sister Nellie, now around 15 years of age, tapping through the house with her cane. “Mother?” the girl called out timidly, finally making it into Rose’s view. “Is everything alright?”

Before Naomi, Rose’s mother, was given a chance to reply, Rose released the woman and rushed at her younger sibling, sweeping her up into a bear hug. “Oh, Nellie!” She breathed. “I’ve missed you so much.”
“Rose!?” Nellie gasped, her sightless eyes widening in surprise.
“Yes, baby sister. It’s me. I’m home.” Rose replied tearfully. “And I’ve got a surprise for you…” letting her words trail off, Rose took Nellie’s hand within her own and placed it on her slightly rounded belly. Nellie gasped once again before squealing with delight, bouncing on her feet. “I’m going to be an auntie!” She squealed, clapping her hands together. “Where’s William at?” The girl then asked curiously, turning her blind gaze up in the general direction of Rose’s face. Rose’s breath caught in her throat, and it took all her will not to collapse on the ground in a broken mess. “Mother didn’t tell you?” Rose croaked and Nellie’s expression fell. “Tell me what?” She asked in a quiet voice, her gleeful expression quickly growing somber. “William’s... He’s… Nellie, William was shot and killed at war.” Rose finally managed to choke out, the words like poison on her tongue. Nellie remained quiet, staring intently at Rose’s stomach as if she could actually see it. “I’m so sorry, Rosie.” She whispered, using the old nickname Rose had gained when she was younger, which only brought the tears back all over again. “Oh, Nellie.” Rose sobbed, bringing her sister up into her arms once again. The two held each other close while Rose sobbed and Nellie smoothed down Rose’s messy curls, soothing her gently. The entire time, Naomi stood in the entrance to the living room, watching the exchange between her two daughters. She soon walked over and gently separated the two, taking Rose into her arms. “Nellie, why don’t you go upstairs to your room for a moment, alright?” Naomi murmured to her youngest. Nellie nodded sedately, turning and disappearing into the bowels of the home. “Rose, darling, would you like some tea?” Naomi asked quietly, leading Rose off to the kitchen as she nodded.

            Later that night, after Rose had calmed down considerably, her mother had allowed her to telephone an old friend, Alice. Despite Alice’s background and despite many people being unaccepting of her due to her lifestyle choices, Rose and Alice had clicked like two puzzle pieces. Though they acted as if they were sisters, the two were both quite different. While Rose had pale ivory skin, sapphire blue eyes and fiery red hair that came to rest on her shoulders in soft curls, Alice had silken strands the colour of milk chocolate that fell straight down her back, soft caramel coloured skin and strangely coloured eyes; one was the soft gray of the sky just before a storm hit and the other was a soft russet colour, reminding Rose of the colour of a newborn faun. While Rose was a bit quiet and withdrawn, Alice was exuberant and outspoken, always making the most out of situations. Even with all that was going on, Alice always managed to cheer Rose up. Drifting up the stairs slowly, Rose stepped into the bathroom for a quick bath when she saw her mother standing there with a washcloth, one leg raised up on the edge of the bathtub. “What are you doing, mother?” Rose inquired, giving a tilt of her head, a scarlet curl falling in her face. Her mother looked up with the expression of a deer caught in headlights before looking down sheepishly. “Rose… We’ve not enough money to buy new nylons anymore.” She murmured, staring down at her leg where there was a smudged line running up the back of it. Rose grew silent, nodding in understanding. “Let me help you.” She said, taking the damp cloth from her mother before she could protest, and gently wiping off the smudged line. She did the same to the other leg before handing the cloth back, a sad smile on her lips. “So I suppose little Faye shall have hand-me-downs then, mm?” She asked of her mother in a teasing tone. “It would seem so.” Her mother replied back with her own smile. “I suppose you’re wanting a bath, then.” She then said, patting her daughter on the back. “I’ll leave you alone.” And with that, Naomi turned and disappeared down the hallway to her bedroom, leaving Rose by herself for now.

            Rose awoke the next morning feeling oddly refreshed. She climbed out of bed with a bit of a struggle, dressed herself slowly, then made her way downstairs. She could distantly hear the chatter of voices coming from the kitchen, and she smiled. She drifted in, then stopped dead in her tracks. There was a woman sitting at the table with her mother and sister, but she didn’t quite recognize her, even though she seemed eerily familiar. The conversation slowly dimmed down until everyone fell silent, looking up at Rose. Her brow furrowed and she tried to think of something to say, though nothing came to mind. Who was this gorgeous woman sitting at her family’s kitchen table? “Rose?” Her mother asked suddenly, startling Rose out of her mind. “Um… Yes?” She questioned in a seemingly innocent tone, shifting her gaze to the weathered older woman. “Aren’t you going to say hello to Alice? She’s been dying to see you since she heard you were coming back.” So that’s who it was! Alice! She had changed so much since the last time Rose had seen her. She had grown, filled out from the stick thin person she used to be. And she looked even prettier than Rose could remember. “Alice!” Rose squealed in delight, waddling over to her childhood friend and wrapping her up in a hug. “I’ve missed you so much.” She muttered a bit tearfully in Alice’s ear, inhaling the female’s scent. She smelled of lavender and chamomile, reminding her of Alice’s grandmother’s farm that they used to play on as children. “How have you been?” Rose asked, holding Alice out at arm’s length. She looked good. As in… she looked healthy. Happy, despite everything going on. “I have been well.” Alice replied, the faint traces of an accent in her voice, reminding Rose of thick molasses dripping down a tree on a hot summer’s day. Smooth and soothing, yet thick and a little rich. “That’s wonderful to hear.” Rose said with a smile, rubbing her hands up and down Alice’s arms a little. “You look great. Certainly a lot different than the last time I saw you.” She teased, letting out a little laugh. Alice herself chuckled and shook her head. “I could say the same about you.” She replied to Rose, her gaze traveling down to Rose’s baby bump with a hint of…jealousy? Odd. Rose smiled sadly, rubbing her stomach affectionately. “Mm, it’s too bad her father won’t be here to meet her…” she said quietly, swallowing past the thick lump of tears in her throat. Alice’s eyes widened and she hugged Rose once again. “Oh, darling. I’m so sorry. I didn’t know…” Rose waved off her friend’s apology, sniffling and smiling. “It’s quite alright, Alice, dear. Would you like to go out for lunch?” She asked then, looking up at the female. Alice grinned, nodding her head vigorously. “I would love to. It will give us a chance to catch up.” She murmured, hooking her arm in Rose’s and leading her out of the house.