Chapter 2

Chapter 2

She woke to the sound of the doorbell.

Who is here at this time of day?

Karol groaned and sat up, cracking her knuckles.

"Surprise! Happy Birthday!" Mrs. Ivanov burst into the room, thrusting a fancy looking metal box into her hands, "Open it!"

Karol had totally forgotten about her 14th birthday.

Slowly, Karol opened it...

Inside was a fluffy black and white puppy, with gorgeous blue eyes and a pink tongue.

As soon as Karol's eyes lay upon him, she fell in love.

"Oh mom, thanks! He's adorable!"

Karol held the dog out and kissed his nose.

The dog wagged his tail happily.

Her mother grinned. "I knew you would like him, but he was really expensive."

Karol didn't care at all, she was so happy.

"Oh mom, he's so gorgeous! Just look at his eyes!" Karol continued, ignoring Mrs. Ivanov's complaint about his cost.

Just then, Ivan walked in, a girl with thick brown hair and hazel eyes following him.

Ivan led the girl quickly to the door, and waved goodbye, "Bye, Lori."

As soon as she disappeared from sight, Ivan turned to his mother. "Mom, why does Karol get a puppy?"

"You never liked animals." she responded, looking into the mirror again."I didn't think you wanted one." Isabella looked up at her son, "Do you?"

Ivan blushed and quickly looked down and said, "Well, Lori might like it..."

Then, he walked away without a word.

Karol was still kneeling on the floor and ruffling the puppy's fur, "Aren't you the cutest, huh, boy? Who's a little neptune eyed puppy?" she cooed.

"Neptune?" Mrs. Ivanov asked, "Is that his name?"

Karol looked up, "I guess..."