Chapter 3

The next morning, just as the sun was coming up, Zoe walked into Scout's paddock and started to tack him up. 'Come on, boy. I'm going to try you in cross country today.' She said, leading him out the gate. She put the reins over his head and mounted up. Scout immediately preferred her over Mia. She didn't kick with her legs too much, and didn't put all her weight onto the saddle. She nudged Scout into a trot.

They arrived at the cross country course, a huge field with a lot of jumps. 'They're difficult, but I you can take them.' Zoe whispered to Scout. Suddenly, someone riding a chestnut gelding walked up to them. Scout whinnied, pinning his ears back. 'Woah, boy. Calm down.' Zoe said gently, petting Scout's neck. 'Hey, Zoe. Sorry about that. Wait, is that the new horse that I heard about?' He said. 'Hey, Pin. Yeah, it is. His name's Scout. We brought him in the other day.' Zoe said. Scout immediately knew that they liked each other. 'He looks like some kind of Thoroughbred.' Pin said, admiring Scout. 'We're doing some cross country now, wanna join?' Zoe asked. 'Sorry, I can't right now. I need to do some jump training.' Pin said. 'Oh, well, see you later then.' Zoe said awkwardly, blushing. 'Alright, bye.' Pin said, smiling at her. He turned around and urged his horse into a trot. 'Come on, boy, canter.' Zoe said to Scout. Immediately, Scout was cantering toward the first jump, which was a hedge jump. 'Good boy, come on.' Zoe praised. Scout didn't need it. He flew over the jump and was galloping toward the next jump, a log jump. He jumped it well again, and Zoe steered him toward a wall jump. He cleared it, his back leg only slightly brushing along the top. Then, it was a bank jump with a small, shallow pool of water beyond it. Scout wasn't so sure about it, but he jumped down into the water and galloped through it. 'Good boy! Now for the last jump.' Zoe said. He galloped up the small hill and was met with a very high log jump. He whinnied nervously, but cleared it. Zoey cheered at slowed him to a walk. 'Well done, Scout! You'll be ready for the competition in no time!' She exclaimed, putting her arms around Scout's neck. Scout whinnied happily. He'd always wanted to jump, it had been his dream since he was a foal. But this was only the beginning of training. He was ready to try more challenging jumps.