Chapter 6

"Are you completely out of your mind? You just thought it was a good idea to go behind my back?" I said, my anger rising.

"Rafael. Sweetie. Hear us out first." my mother said. "Fernando, tell him." She looked at my dad.

"If you get married to Maria, then we can end the enmity. Because then it would mean that the 2 families and businesses are in unity so there would be peace." my father tried explaining himself terribly.

"Yeah. Yeah. I know how that works. But there's no way there's going to be peace. You guys definitely have some strings attached to this. So spit it out." I demanded answers.

"There's nothing. We swear." my father replied, looking back at my mother.

"If I find out that there is, then it is over for you. You will have no right to ask me of anything. And I will destroy you." I warned them, leaving the house.

My black convertible was still parked outside. I got in and drove. I don't know where I was going but I just drove. Eventually stopping, I parked my car and entered a bar. I needed a drink for this. When I walked in, I noticed that it was almost empty.

I made my way towards the bar. "One whiskey on the rocks." I ordered. I looked to my left to see a girl with an empty glass in her hand. Her head on the table with her black hair covering her face. She was wearing a bright, red dress. It looked very familiar.

"She's been here the past half an hour." the bartender said as he handed my drink, distracting me from my thoughts. "She won't even let me check on her to see if she's alive. She said I should've just died that night. Would've made life easier. Whatever that meant." he shrugged his shoulders, going back to work.

I moved her hair out of her face. Of course. It was no other than— "Hey!" she shouted. "OH! Hello, Mr Fiancé." She was definitely drunk. "I see you didn't get time to change either. They just HIT you with the news straight after the party. Right?" Maria said drunkenly. It was only then that I realised I was still wearing my clothes from the party.

"Right." I replied. It was silent for about 2 mins. "Can I ask you a question?" I asked.

"You just did." she said.

"No. Can I ask another one?" I said.

"You just did." she chuckled. God the way she smiled. It made me smile.

"I'm going to ask another one." I paused, looking straight into her beautiful, brown eyes. "Would you really have killed me?" She looked away.

"I'll only answer if you do shots with me." she said.

I chuckled. "Okay then, Miss Fiancé. A round of shots for us." I ordered the bartender.

"Let's do it like this. For every question of yours that I answer, I take a drink to help it go down. For every question of mine that you answer, you take a drink." she tells me.

"Usually it would be the other way round. But okay. Whatever you say, boss."

"Well I'm pretty sure you're loaded with questions and I'm still too sober for this." Maria said, throwing her head on the table.

"I see you woke up the devil." the bartender said as he set down our drinks. Maria then lifted her head and hissed at him, scaring him off. She picked up a glass and drank it whole with a straight face.