12. there is no me without you

Cain's pov:

The first thing that I do as I step into the underworld is lit up a cigarette.

I still don't know how to feel after that dream last night.

Well, it wasn't a dream. I know it was Helena's soul seeking out for me.
But that doesn't make it any easier.

How does she expect me to just let her go like that? I mean, sure, it's been a hundred-twenty years. Maybe I should let her go. But how can I?

Even after all these years without seeing her, I can't imagine letting her go. 
How can I be me without her?

I let the smoke escape my mouth.

Milo should be awake by now. He has classes today.

I feel bad, we basically stole a day out of his life.

But at least, he won't think of me as someone who hurt him.

I should text Brandon soon.

Ugh, I know I should just text Milo, it's not like we're in a fight.

I throw my cigarette bud on the ground before I walk into the main office.

"Your name, sir?" A woman asks me.

"Cain skinner." I tell her.

She types a few words and looks back at me.

"Right this way." She guides me to the elevator.

"Miss Umbra is expecting you." She tells me. I just nod.

We get out at the highest level. I follow her to an office.

She knocks twice and opens the door.

"Come in." The woman says.

"Can I get you some drinks?" The woman that lead me here asks, bowing her head slightly.

"No, thanks. I'm good." I say.

The other woman declines as well.

She shuts the door.

"So, mister Skinner." She says, pointing at the chair in front of me, inviting me to sit down.

"Cain is fine." I tell her.

"Well Cain. I'm Livana Umbra. I heard you have good connections with Sullivan." She says.

"Yeah. He stuck his neck out for me a couple times." I tell her.

She nods, looking down at a few papers on her desk.

"Tell me about yourself first, how long have you been a demon?" She asks me.

I sigh as I start my story.
"I was born in 1862. I met Sullivan in 1874. I was an orphan, I would've starved to death if he didn't buy me." I say.

I was twelve when I met him.
But Demons stop physically aging once they've matured.

That's why I have all the physical abilities of a twenty-three year old. There are demons who stopped aging when they were eighteen, others stopped when they're twenty-nine.

This makes sure Demons stay in the prime of their life.

"He took me under his wing. In 1899 I joined the corporation." I tell Livana.

"So you're a hundred-fifty-nine years old? What is you physical age?" Livana asks.

"Twenty-three." I tell her.

"And what do you do in a normal day at your job?" She asks, getting a cigar from her desk.

"My main job is to keep the inflow in track. But Sullivan uses me to clean his dirty work up sometimes." I say.