Tension

"Hi Summer."
"Hi. So, I guess you didn't even bother saying hi to the person you actually know here."
"Summer, Summer, chill! It's all good. Why are you so snappy?"
"Why? Because your parents call my parents to say you are moving schools and ask if anyone else is moving. They say that they don't know. Your parents said it would be good to have someone you know with you, so you aren't lonely. So my parents make me change schools! I loved our old school. You definitely knew I did."
"Whoa. You didn't have to move. Don't blame Autumn!" Kaitlin piped up.
"Shut up. I don't even know who you are, so stop butting in. Anyway. I come here and see you with two new friends, whilst I'm having trouble finding you? What sort of messed up head do you have?"
"Oi!" shouted Michael, "That's no way to speak to anyone, let alone a friend."
"Summer. We'll talk about this later. Why don't you just come over after school?"
"Fine."
With that she left.
"You ok?"
"Don't worry about me," I calmly replied, "she's like that a lot. We're still friends. She says she never means to be mean or anything, it just comes out. I suppose it depends how respectful people are of each other at home."
"True. But remember, you don't need to deal with things on your own. We always have your back."
"Thanks. No offense or anything, but we don't even know each other for 24-hours and we are already friends? Isn't it a bit quick."
"It's just life. I suppose there's temporary friendship and permanent friendship."
"True."
****
Summer was coming with me to my house after school.
We were silent until one of us decided to speak.
"Thanks for that Summer." I muttered.
"I'm sorry, Autumn. I didn't mean to be horrible. I just got upset."
"I realized, but you can't just start being mean to me every time you get upset. You have to understand I didn't mean to make you feel that way or that I didn't think you would end up feeling that way."
"You always say that."
"Because it's always true."
Silence. Summer stops walking and looks down at her shoes.
"What's wrong?"
When she doesn't reply I ask,
"Are you afraid I'd leave you out of a friendship group?"
Even when Summer remained silent, I could sense that was why.
"Look, tomorrow I'll go introduce you to Kaitlin and Michael again. I'm sure they'll accept you. Anyway, stop worrying about this now and come inside."
When we got inside, Summer asked to see my timetable. Quickly, she became upset again, after realizing we have only one class together, American History.
She decided to leave and return home to think about things for a while. However, before leaving, she whispered "I'm sitting next to you in American History."
I just nodded my head, trying hard not to show that what she said and how she said it, sounded really childish.
When the door closed, a voice from behind me said, "Is Summer mad at you?"
"No, Rosalinda. She's not. Anyway, go back and help mom with the salad. I'll be right there."
I turned, to see Rosalinda going back to the kitchen. Time seemed to go past so quickly. Suddenly, a flashback occurs.
The wind howled, as the branches bashed against the metal/plastic box type hut, we were sheltering in. I couldn't remember how long we had been there. Rosalinda was starting to catch something; I feared it was worse than a cold. Lightning suddenly struck the ground, a few feet from where we were. I thanked God, it didn't hit the hut, otherwise it could have ended up killing us. Tears drip down my face, as I wonder where on Earth our parents are. I remember feeling faint and calling "Mom, Dad! Where are you? Why! Why did you do this to us? What have we done?"
"Autumn!" I heard my mom calling.
Rubbing my eyes, I noticed I was starting to feel drowsy.
"Mom, I think the flashbacks have started." Arsen whispered.
"Autumn, maybe you should lie down and take a nap. I'll call you down for supper," my mom comforted me.
However, as I made my way up to my bedroom, I saw my sister's scared face from the corner of my eye.
Little did I know, this was for seeing the change that was coming.
The next day, I didn't bother waking early. My first class, AP Math, started at 10. It seemed so strange that I could come into school just before 10, for instance, and leave after 2. To be honest, I didn't really like it. I preferred structure, to creativity. The flashback seemed distant, but I knew it wasn't solitary.