7 - Too Late

"That's enough Naruto," Sasuke said from the sidelines. "My turn."

Danzo couldn't hide his disbelief.

When did the jinchuriki learn to maintain consciousness despite borrowing the fox's power? He never imagined Naruto to be able to control any of it. Had he known, his plan would have been different.

Sasuke squatted over the old man lying defenselessly on the floor.

"Props to you for still surviving." Sasuke unsheathed his sword. "But it's not nice to take other people's eyes." And with a swift motion, he slashed off Danzo's arm.

There were no feelings of pity in that room despite the sorry state the losing party was in.

"We have more than enough to return to Orochimaru," Naruto said, placing a reassuring hand on Sasuke's shoulder.

However, Sasuke wasn't reassured. "What's the use if we still don't have Mother?" The bitter Uchiha turned back to their only lead. "Where did you take her?"

It was a first for Danzo—to lie on the floor so helplessly while being threatened by a single gaze.

"It's too late," the elder said in contempt. "She should be dead right about now."

Naruto looked at the old man furiously. He couldn't grasp how Danzo had the nerve to smile at a time like this.

Danzo wasn't playing fair, Sasuke knew. So he wasn't going to either. With a single hand, he grasped the sly ninja's head and dug his mind. Sure, he wasn't as well-versed as the Yamanaka family in mind decryption, but he had his own tricks.

A few minutes passed with no signs of anything from either Danzo nor Sasuke. They both looked like they entered into some sort of trance. Naruto turned to Itachi for reference.

"Give Sasuke some time, if he tries hard enough, he'll find something about your mother," Itachi said calmly, tucking his arm comfortably back inside his robe.

Naruto loosened the grip on his kunai, but continued to stand guard. "I just don't understand why Danzo had to take Mother."

It was an easy enough reason, Itachi contemplated. Did Naruto really not understand why? Was he so naive to believe that all the villagers already accepted him?

After deciphering that Naruto really didn't have a solid guess, Itachi decided to share his two cents.

"Danzo's plan was to get rid of the both of you," older Uchiha said as he looked over at his younger brother, who was also listening. "He figured that the best way to keep his hands clean were to go through a third party."

Naruto thought aloud, "Mitsuki."

The Akatsuki spy nodded. "Yes. Mitsuki trafficked women and coincidentally your Mother possessed the desired qualities. After kidnapping her from Konoha, she was taken to the Sand where Danzo set up for his people to buy her; thus, bringing her back to the Leaf when you two were not present."

"But why?" Naruto was itching to know.

"Once you get news of your missing mother, Danzo anticipated that you would go berserk and turn into the fox. If everything went according to plan, then he'd have a legitimate reason to get rid of you. And if Sasuke refused to help kill you, he would be branded as a traitor—which would most likely be the case."

Naruto didn't seem to like the explanation. "Then where is she?"

"She's with Madara," Sasuke spoke gravely.

"What does Madara want with Mother?" Naruto asked in panicked confusion. "Is it to get to me...?"

"Yes," Sasuke answered, much to his brother's horror, only to finish with, "..and no."

Sasuke looked over at Itachi, indicating that it was his time to throw out another explanation or dark secret he learned from the Akatsuki.

Older brother took a step forward. "As far as I know, Madara doesn't know that woman. Even I have limited intelligence on her. But there might be someone who does have some relation to her—Obito."

"Uchiha?" Sasuke mumbled more to himself as he searched his thoughts. Naruto was pondering the same.

That didn't make sense. Obito Uchiha should be dead. He was Kakashi sensei's teammate who didn't make it on one of their missions.

"What does Obito have to do with our mother?" Naruto finally burst out when he couldn't think of any explanations for how Obito could be alive and what he could have to do with Mother's disappearance.

"I can only make a guess."

Itachi's moment of hesitation didn't sit well with either Sasuke nor Naruto who couldn't decide whether they should be more angry or worried. Danzo wanted their mother gone because of them. But even such a cruel man would give up their mother to someone else to handle. And that someone else has no known relation to mother.

That made it all the more frightening.

"So what is it?" Sasuke asked impatiently, not wanting to waste another second mentally cursing himself for not properly looking after his mother.

"Soul revival."