Adjacent rooms

"Shit," Leah said, when she found out that she was going to be staying in the room next to Oliver. They hated each other since freshman year. And now they were going to have to live next to each other for a week. The problem wasn't that she hated him. The problem was that she had a crush on him. No one knew, not even Kristen, her best friend.

The Maple Ridge High School football team was invited to participate in the state tournament, held annually in Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster. The students would be staying in a hotel close to the stadium. Leah was their team manager and Oliver was the coach. Turned out, manager and coach would be staying in adjacent rooms. The entire hotel was booked for the participants, one team per floor. The Kicks (that was Oliver's team's name) were on the fourth floor.

They played their first match against Oak Hills High School and won. They had a small celebration in a restaurant nearby, and headed back to their hotel. The rest of the team had already gone up and Leah and Oliver were the only ones remaining. Oliver got into the elevator; Leah hesitated. "Just get in," he told her. Leah followed.

When they reached the third floor, the lights suddenly went out. It was pitch black and the elevator stopped working. Leah reached for her phone but it was dead. And judging by Oliver's groan, his was dead, as well. "Hey, Oliver?" Leah said slowly, afraid of what he might say. "What, Leah?" came a rather irritated reply.

"I'm scared of the dark. Can I hold your hand?"