The Party

Tommy scanned the room, taking notice of the people there, but every once in a while he would glance at the door. Any sign of movement near the entrance of the pub catching his immediate attention until he finally saw her.

Daphne was dressed in black, certainly, a contrast with most of the women present in the room that night. The flapper dress was somewhat simple, discreet even, certainly not what he would have expected for the birthday girl. Her hair was tied in an intricate braid, a heavy black shawl around her shoulders.

He felt pulled by her presence, paying close attention as she crossed the room on Alfie's arm, all eyes on them. If she was uncomfortable, she didn't show it, receiving greetings from people and walking confidently across the room. It was almost difficult to imagine that she didn't like to celebrate her birthday.

Tommy was a little taken aback when Karl found a way to escape Ada's arms and run straight into Daphne's arms the moment she stepped onto the mezzanine, his mom hot on his heels.

Observing the scene it became obvious that his sister wasn't joking when she said that Karl loved Daphne—it was quite clear for anyone with a pair of eyes as the little boy gave her a package and snuggled himself into her neck when Ada probably scolded him for running off.

"Did you know about that?" Polly asks, observing the scene with her brows furrowed.

"Knew about what?"

Tommy didn't avert his gaze from Daphne, but he could bet that his aunt had rolled her eyes.

"That she knew Karl."

"Ada mentioned, yes."

His sister hugged Daphne, before coming back to join them with Karl in her arms.

"That woman over there isn't Harriet?"

Tommy looked at the woman that John was talking about—it was the brunette dressed in a tight navy blue skirt and a white blouse, apparently, mocking the man who was hugging Daphne.

"Harriet?" Arthur questioned, incredulously, "You must be crazy Johnny boy. This can't be..."

John finished the sentence for the eldest Shelby brother "The owner of one of the most famous brothels in London."

Tommy's attention was elsewhere though, more precisely in the interaction between the woman—Harriet, allegedly—Daphne and the man who had just hugged her. They all seemed pretty comfortable around one another, but it was the arm the man kept around Daphne's waist that caught his interest.

It didn't take long for Daphne to approach the Shelby clan alongside Alfie.

"I took the opportunity to invite the rest of the Shelby's, so we could get acquainted with all of Tommy's lovely relatives, yeah," Alfie explained, as Daphne stood there, acknowledging the family.

"Arthur Shelby, at your service," the eldest Shelby brother was the first to make a move, greeting the woman by kissing the back of the hand she extended to him.

Daphne smiled sweetly, "Daphne Scott, I'm enchanted."

"John Shelby, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Tommy recognized the flirtatious tone in John's voice, as well as the smirk he was sporting.

"Likewise," Daphne answered, taking his extended hand before asking, "And where's your lovely wife?"

Alfie chuckled behind her. Arthur almost spat his drink, trying to contain his laughter, while John cleared his throat, trying to maintain his composure.

"She stayed home with the kids," John murmured, looking at his shoes in shame, not used to being called out like that.

"Send her my regards then."