Ch. 8c: Broke Free Ending Part 1

Mono followed the vents to the floor the Transmission was on and exited them right in front of the door. He looked around for a way inside and found a stool to stand on. He entered the Transmission's room and stopped in his tracks.

His father was there, waiting for him. He seemed a little surprised to see him, but he recovered quickly.

"So you came after all," Father said. "I'm impressed you made it this far."

Mono just watched his dad, not saying a word. He had wondered if Father would be there and now he knew.

"I would have thought that you would have saved yourself," Father continued. "You are a foolish child."

Mono looked around the room while pretending to keep his eyes on his father. It wasn't hard with the paper bag on his head. He quickly spied Six in a cage on a desk close by. He also saw the key on the table next to the Transmission's home, a small black box.

"Now I have to kill you. I hope you're happy with yourself," finished Father.

Father moved toward Mono at a fast pace, but Mono dodged him and jumped up onto the table. He grabbed the key, jumped toward the desk, and threw the key to Six in midair. Then he landed and ran under the desk. Father ignored the key and continued after Mono. He pushed the desk out of the way to better reach the small boy. Mono ran to the back of the room, where the wall for some reason was missing. Mono suspected that the Transmission had something to do with it. He ignored the missing wall for now and turned around to face Father.

While all that was going on, Six had grabbed the key, hung on tight to it as the desk was flung to the side. Her cage fell off the desk, but Six managed to keep her hands on the key. She unlocked the cage door and watched the scene in front of her.

There were still a few feet between Mono and the edge where the missing wall should have been. He could hear the Transmission going crazy on the table.

"Kill him! Kill him!" it shouted again and again.

Father moved toward Mono, forced by the evil signal to obey.

"You wouldn't hurt me," Mono finally spoke. "This isn't like you."

"How would you know?" snapped Father. "You don't know me!"

"Oh," Mono replied, "I think I do." Without another word, Mono took off his paper bag mask.

Father's eyes widened in shock. He stumbled to a stop, unable to believe what he was seeing.

"Mono?!" he exclaimed, tears coming to his eyes.

"Kill him!" the Transmission yelled again.

"No!" Father cried, falling to his knees and covering his face with his hands. "I won't hurt him!"

"Kill him!"

Father refused. He was shaking violently, sometimes twitching as if about to get up, but he remained on the floor, refusing to obey, to kill his only son. Mono could tell that it caused him a lot of pain to resist the Transmission's wishes, but he held out, unwilling to budge.

"If you won't, they will."

The other monsters appeared from the shadows, closing in on Mono from each side. The spider-legged one was on top of him in seconds. Mono cried out and backed up toward the opening in the wall. Father saw the ledge right away and knew that if Mono fell, it wouldn't be fake this time. It would be very real. But Father couldn't move to help him, not without risking falling back under the Transmission's control.

"Mono!" Six exclaimed in alarm as she ran up next to Father. The two monsters separated them from Mono, who for the first time looked terrified. It didn't take long for him to end up with his back to the edge. He tried to find a way around the servants in front of him, but they kept him cornered by the opening.