Chapter Five

The first thing I see when I wake up is the sunlight shining in through the open window. The sunlight reaches the desk I am sitting at, but the sunlight is the last thing on my mind. There is a crick in my neck, shooting painful rivets up and down my back, all the way up to my head. I lift my head off of my hands, grimacing. The paper I was working on last night is stuck to my head, so I brush it off. The paper floats back to the table, discarded and forgotten. 

I can't believe I fell asleep doing homework. After our face masks were done, Bree and Adam left me so I could go to sleep. I did lie to them because I wanted to do some of my homework before going to sleep. I knew that I wanted to finish a couple sheets of my homework, but the math homework I was doing was difficult and I couldn't get past the first question. No matter how much I tried to get through it, I just couldn't. 

I stretch my arms above my head, letting out a sigh when the pain subsides. I realize that I'm still wearing the clothes from yesterday, so I head over to my suitcase. I unzip it and grab a pair of my jeans I had folded up. There is a shirt below it, making me smile. I forgot that I had packed my suitcase in a certain way where my clothes are set up in each respective outfit. It may have taken me a long time to pack, but it definitely is worth it. I don't have to search around for different pieces of clothing, which makes me really happy. 

Since I had showered a day before we left, I decide that I need to shower today. My hair doesn't need to be washed yet, so I quickly throw it up into a messy bun. Grabbing my clothes and underwear, I step out into the hallway. I let out a yelp as someone storms down the hallway toward me. 

"Get out of my way!" Adam yells. "I have to be the first one to wake Leo up!"

I press myself against the wall just in time. Adam thunders by next to me and turns the corner, disappearing from my sight. I glance down the hallway from where he came and see Chase walking toward me. 

"What is going on?" I ask him with a frown.

"Adam has been doing this since Leo moved in," Chase explains. "He always goes to wake Leo up, even if Leo has repeatedly told him not to."

A shout echoes from Leo's room, meaning that Adam has woken him up now. Chase sighs and slows down his walking so that he is near me. I still remember how rude Chase was to me last night, so I cross my arms over my chest, which helps to hide the clothes in my hands. 

"Where's the bathroom?" I ask him with a neutral tone. "I need to shower."

"It's the door right in front of you," Chase says slowly. "Didn't Bree show you around the house last night?"

"She mainly talked about how excited she was to finally have another girl around," I tell him. My tone turns a little harsher. "Apparently, you guys have ruined her life. She wishes that she had been born to a different family so she could have a normal life."

"If she had been born to a different family, she wouldn't be able to help people," he mutters. He flicks his eyes up to me before saying, "Hurry up with that shower. Tasha is taking you and your mom on a tour of Mission Creek soon."

"I don't take long showers. It's wastes the water supply, and since we live in California, we do not have a lot of spare water because of the forest fires."

"I know that." Chase scowls at me. "Of course I know that. I'm the smartest guy alive."

"I seriously doubt that," I say with a quick roll of my eyes. I mimic his voice and say, "I'm the smartest girl alive." I don't allow him to answer me. I brush past him, opening the door to the bathroom. I throw my stuff onto the vanity and slam the door in his face. 

I know that I should try to get along with the Davenports, but Chase really annoys me. He thinks he's so high and mighty just because he's smarter than anyone else. That doesn't mean anything. I'm incredibly smart too, but the difference between us is that I'm much nicer than he is. Mom will be upset with me when she hears that I've been fighting with him, but I don't care. He deserves to be put in his place and I am glad that I could do that.