Chapter Three

He wasn't sure if the hour passed by slowly or at breakneck speed but after what seemed like an indescribable amount of time, he and dozens of other slaves of all type were brought out in single file and led behind a large wooden auctioneer's stage. As they were led out, he could see masses of other demons packed closely together eager to get their hands on the merchandise.

"Ladies and gentlemen, fiends and creatures of the depths! Welcome to the Apronaki Slave Market!" an older middle-aged demon with a long grey beard and a sharp toothed overbite announced. He wore a ragged and moldy brown suit with dirty white pants. "We're starting off strong today, with an excellent selection. Bring them up!" he called.

The line began to shift forward, with the imp just three spaces away from being thrust up onto that dreaded stage. He felt his stomach curl as he waited his turn. Fate could assign him any manner of future good or terrible. Finally it was his turn. He was snapped out of his nervous torpor by a guard with an electro-spear. He was tossed up on stage, stumbling forward before being caught by the auctioneer.

"Well lookie here!" the auctioneer shouted as the crowed amassed muttered amongst themselves. "My thought's exactly, we've got a prize specimen here! Four foot six and ninety pounds, strong from the mines of the Trans-Viery with rare colored green eyes and brown pigmentation on both the skin and hair! Not to mention those prize horns." The auctioneer said. "Starting for five thousand! Any takers?" the demon yelled excitedly.

"Six thousand!" someone yelled from the crowd.

"Six thousand! Any other takers?" the auctioneer asked, speeding up as the war of pricing began.

"Sixty-two hundred." A crocodile demon grunted.

"Sixty-five hundred." The first demon, a mantis creature croaked out again.

"Sixty-five hundred! How about seven thousand?" the auctioneer asked, his eyes alight with the chaotic energy around him.

"Ten thousand!" a voice rang out, cutting through the shouts of the crowd. It was a harsh voice, somewhat high pitched with an electronic buzz to it.

The imp felt chills run down his spine at the sound of the voice. Everyone else had gone quiet.

"Uh, yes ten thousand!" the auctioneer said nervously. "Any other takers? No? Okay, uh, going once, going twice... sold to the overlord in the back!"

Then turning to the imp he leaned down and whispered. "You'd better git if you know what's good for you."

With a shaky nod the imp shakily descended wooden steps of the auctioneer's stage. As he walked forward, he saw a tall and eerie figure. Tall and thin, clad in a rich red coat with white fur ruffle. Or was that a part of this overlord? Four arms ended in perfectly manicured hands, with pale blue skin. A pair of hot pink sunglasses sat upon the demon's face.

With a low and buzzing chuckle he beckoned the imp forward with a long and bony finger. "Come here my little imp." He said in a smooth voice.

Despite his urge to shy away the imp hesitantly stepped forward to greet his new buyer.

"Good boy." The demon said placing a bony hand on the imp's shoulder. "Maxwell, pay for the purchase." He said looking to another demon dressed in a black suit.

"Of course sir." He said stepping forward to meet the auctioneer.

The imp was led to a bright red limo with black tinted windows. The demon in the black suit rushed to open the door for the two of them, the tall blue demon stepping in before pulling the imp in roughly.