Chapter 9

Barış

The contract is signed. Zеynep did a great job. The French liked her so much that they insisted that she come again at the next meeting. She liked it too, at least that's what it looked like. I hadn't seen her smile so much. She even told them a joke that made them laugh a lot, even though I didn't understand a word. After the meeting it was time to go home. After we arranged the purchased products together in their places, I had to go to the company.

"Zeynep," I say before leaving. "Thank you again for helping me today!"

"It was fun.." she replies.

"What are you doing today?"

"I'll read, I'll clean, I'll make dinner, I'll ..."

"Don't be a maid here, don't get tired, Zeynep," I say.

"I'll make the cake I promised ..." she smiles.

"I'm going out ... I'm coming back for dinner, okay?" I say and go out after she nods.

When I arrive at the office, my desk is covered with documents waiting for my signature, but I will leave that for another time. Now I have a more important job. Savaş is waiting for me in my office with several folders full of the information he has gathered about Mehdi. We spend several hours analyzing and gathering evidence.

"Will we be able to ruin his life, Savaş?" 

"With the things I know, he will be in prison for at least 8 years ..." he says.

"Eight is not enough ... If we add the harassment over  his wife, apart from the fact that he will not be able to get closer to her, this will add another year or two to the punishment. We must first go to see a doctor and get a document from him that she has been abused. Anyway, I'll handle the rest. Thank you very much, Savaş. You helped me a lot, I will not forget it "

"It's my job, my friend. Well, I'm leaving, "he says and stands up.

We shake hands, I thank him again, he walks to the parking , and I stay at the door of the building to smoke and think about how to tell Zеynep about going to the hospital without her feeling weird. Moments later, my phone rings.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hello, kardeş, I'm Mehdi" - Allah kahretsin.

"I'm listening to you, komşu?"

"I went to your house, but no one answered, you're obviously at work, huh?" - He went home! Damn, Zeynep must have been scared to death.

"Yes, yes, I work."

"I wanted to ask, what did you do about my wife? Should I go to the police to report that she is missing? "

"No, no. In a few days the problem will be solved, don't worry! "

"All right, kardeş, I'm waiting for news. Bye! ". Mehdi says and hangs up.

Yes, I told him that the problem would be solved soon, but he did not know that he is my problem, and very soon I will make him regret every bad word he said to Zeynep. I will make him pray for forgiveness.
I go back to my office to sign documents. But a thought is spinning in my head. Somehow I have to ask Zeynep if she would agree to see a doctor tomorrow. She doesn't talk about her experiences in that house. I understand her, it's hard, maybe she'll be ashamed or I don't know......Wait, something came to my mind. I pick up the phone and call Emine.

"Barış? How are you? "She asks.

"I am just fine. What are you doing?"

"I was at the market, and you?"