Mercy

Not two seconds pass before suddenly the unexpected happens and my feet aren't touching the ground anymore; they're instead hanging through the air as the rest of my body is being tossed over a shoulder, my hips pressed against someone's bicep and chest.

My eyes only got two seconds of seeing blurry olive skin and dark hair before the ash dusted grass once again consumed my eyesight. I could see the little girl beneath me, inches away from my dangling hair.

I quickly try to center myself and gain some control by grabbing onto the mans calves that are clothed in what feels like jeans; they were dark colored and rough on my fingers, possibly black, but under the shade of the nighttime even with the light from the moon I wasn't sure.

"Let me go!" I scream, my throat still throbbing as I try to desperately twist out of my captors grip unsuccessfully. The grip he had on me, pressing me to him, was almost god like. I felt helpless and weak. Embarrassed that all it took to kidnap me was someone holding me tightly to them.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. And if you keep struggling I'm going to have to have my pals hurt your friend over here." Of course he's not alone. Alex would have surely tried to save me if he was. I feared how many others were surrounding us right now. I couldn't see anyone while pointed at the grass, even when I tried to twist my head around to look it wasn't enough.

As if to prove his point I suddenly hear a grunt of pain from Alex, and I can only imagine what they've done to make him speak out in anguish. A rush of adrenaline courses through me but I know even if I managed to escape this mans grip, someone else would be there to grab me. Now was not the time to escape. We were overpowered.

I sigh angrily, upset at my own inability to do anything. With gritted teeth I speak out, replying, "Fine. I'll be quiet. Just don't hurt him." And grip harder onto the legs of whoever I was holding onto.

"Careful there princess, you hurt me I hurt him." I could feel the vibrations of the mans voice coursing through his chest and through my stomach. It made me sick.

My hands still gripped the guys jeans as he paced forward, my body pressed against his shoulder, my chest slightly bouncing as his steps reverberated into me from being held so tightly against him.

I felt tortured being able to see the palace and everything around me but not being able to do anything about it for fear of hurting Alex. I couldn't let another person get hurt. Especially if this happened because they were after me. If people died because of me. Because I didn't take those anonymous letters seriously.

My eyes were trained on the grass blurring beneath my vision as he walked, and for some reason the urge to look back at the little girl itched my mind.

So I did.

My heart leaped out of my throat as I saw her eyes were now open. My face froze in shock.

She'd rolled onto her side, and our eyes connected. She was clinging onto life. I had the urge to yell out "run" but realized that no one was paying her any attention and all she had to do was lay there and be still. I doubt she was strong enough to run anyway.

Her small mouth opened as to speak and I shook my head slightly, telling her without any words to stay there and not make any noise.

She listened to my signal and slowly laid her head back down in the grass, closing her eyes.

A smile spread across my face and I flexed my jaw smugly knowing the fact that someone else was alive and could tell everyone what happened.