Chapter 14

"Last night I visited O'Flagnery's former housekeeper," Moira said, sighing deeply, "And what she told me made my blood run cold. I didn't want to believe any of it, but after what I just saw

"When Bridgette's mother first arrived at O'Flagnery Hall with the child, Douglass began to punish Bridgette for everything she did," Moira explained. "He would beat her, lock her away in the darkest of rooms, and even deny her food. Her poor mother did the best she could to shield the child from the worst of it, but when she died, there was no one to protect her.

"He would beat her for speaking without permission, he lashed her for everything," Moira paused to wipe tears from her eyes before continuing. "There was even a story about a kitten Bridgett found and cared for until Douglass discovered it and killed the poor thing in front of her. Snapped its little neck.

"He hired no tutors to instruct her, leaving her education to what she could pick up from those beastly men and women Douglas keeps around him," Moira finished, dabbing her eyes again.

"I see," Marcus said, studying the surface of his desk.

"Damn," he swore rising from his desk to look outside. "I have enough troubles, trying to keep my head above water with this lodge and land falling apart around me. I do not have time to deal with a broken wife as well."

"No sir," Moira acknowledged behind him. "I understand that, but perhaps we should be gentler with her. I know that I myself have done nothing to make her feel welcome."

Shaking his head Marcus turned to face her.

"I do not have time to coddle the girl, Moira," he told her. "She is your responsibility, just keep her out of my way. Give her mending work, have her help in the kitchens, I truly do not care, as long as she does nothing to interfere with my work."

"So that is how it is to be?" Moira replied, sighing heavily.

"Yes, dammit," Marcus yelled, his voice filled with anger. "I did not want her as my wife, but there was no other way to save this land. She is a means to an end, nothing more."

Standing quickly Moira pointed an accusing finger at him,

"That young girl deserves better than that!" she yelled back. "She has been used and abused by that horrible man her entire life. I will not let you do the same."

"I have no intention of abusing her," Marcus said, his voice losing some of its anger. "And I'm surprised at such a quick change in your attitude towards her. Yesterday you said you would rather I marry one of the cattle than her."

"You did not see what I did, Marcus," Moira interrupted. "You would kill a man for treating his dog that way, let alone a defenseless girl."

"Moira," he sighed, "I will treat her with every respect. She can have free run of the house and grounds. I will do my best to ensure that she wants for nothing, but I cannot hold her hand the entire time."

"Well," Moira sighed, reseating herself. "Then there are several things you will have to do."

"And what are those?" Marcus asked, hearing the resolute tone in his housekeepers voice.

"First and foremost, your wife is in dire need of new clothing," she began, clasping her hands together on her lap. "When we put her into that disgraceful excuse for a nightdress, we could see that even her undergarments were nothing but rags held together by stitching. After we'd put her to bed, I took the liberty of going through her trunk and I am sad to say all of her garments are like that. Even the bolts of fabric she brought with her are moth eaten, not even fit for making horse blankets with."

"So cloth for new garments," Marcus nodded. "What else?"

"You need to address the staff and make sure they understand that she is nothing like we predicted," Moira continued. "That they need to be kind to her."

"Do you really think that is necessary?" Marcus asked, slightly bemused.

"Yes," Moira nodded vigorously. "Many of their families have suffered at the hands of O'Flagnery and his thugs. They hate him and anyone associated with him with a vengeance. They need to know she's just as much a victim of that man as any of them."

"Fine," Marcus agreed. "Anything else?"

"You could be kinder to her as well," Moira said softly. "She's innocent. You cannot punish her for grandfather's greed and violence. She most likely expects the same treatment from any man in her life."

Marcus thought over this for many long moments before answering.

"I will do my best," he said, knowing it was probably too late.