Chapter 8

There was a kind of resignation to sitting in the chair on the opposite side of Ellis' desk

There was a kind of resignation to sitting in the chair on the opposite side of Ellis' desk. Meredith felt small in that chair, the tall back rising behind her, her arms thin and sallow against the burgundy upholstered armrests. She had seen this scene too many times, Ellis sitting behind her desk, framed by the expanse of windows behind her, the bright light of the hospital beyond etching the hard lines of her silhouette. Ellis was hard and unmoving, her lips an unforgiving line, her blanched fingers biting into her crossed arms.

Meredith had heard the charges against her, the list of offenses against her family, her employer, and evidently herself. Ellis sat silently, waiting for Meredith's reply. Meredith knew it was time for her to explain, beginning with a description of her epiphany at the unsuitable path she had chosen followed by her detailed plan for reversing course and resuming her old, acceptable ways. Through years of practice Meredith knew she was expected to wrap up with a profuse and humble apology, most specifically to her mother, whose time she had wasted with her long, sad speech of redemption. There was a reason that chair made her feel small.

There was no desire within Meredith to apologize. She felt very little regret about anything she had done since the moment she had seen tears in April's eyes, the moment she knew that all her plans for the future had been for nothing. The only thing that came to mind when she thought of regret was about a tall, charming man who had been in her bathtub. She would have much rather stayed in the warm water and tested the structural integrity of the claw feet. She would rather be on her way back to her cozy little apartment to prepare for the furniture that would be there soon. She would rather be doing just about anything but trying to figure a way out of this conversation.

It took Meredith a moment to force the words out. "I'm coming back to work," she said.

"What?" Ellis asked quietly, her lips barely moving while a muscle in her forehead twitched.

"I will be in for morning rounds. There's no need for the other residents to have to pick up the dead weight of extra interns when I'm more than capable of working." Just like that, days of planning were thrown out. Meredith found herself crossing her arms, mirroring Ellis. She had always heard that she took after her mother, but she assumed that it was her looks or her surgical skills that got noticed. Perhaps she had a bit of Ellis' toughness in her as well.

"You will do no such thing," Ellis said.

"I know that you're concerned," Meredith said, thinking of what her father would tell their coworkers tomorrow. "It was a shock when I found out I had a sister that I never knew, and you were kind enough to make sure I had all the time I needed to make arrangements for her care. You cannot let me neglect my career, though, and have encouraged me to return as soon as I'm able." Meredith stared into her mother's eyes, "I'm ready now."

Ellis had a tight control on her expression, but the silence said she was considering her options. Not a single sandy hair in her neatly pinned French twist quivered in the stale air. "You're taking that girl in," Ellis stated.