CHAP. 3: BROKEN VOWS LEAD TO A CURSED STRANGER IN A BAR.

A/N:  The Huggable above needs no introduction, right?

Friday was an interesting day for New Thitipoom Techaapaikhun.  A Throw-himself-off-a-cliff-into-a-raging-river-with-a-cement-block-attached-to-him type of interesting. Today was the day that he was supposed to be married to the love of his life, his college sweetheart Neen Suwanamas, but it crashed and burned in the MOST spectacular way.   

   Standing at the altar with a giant smile on his face, he first noticed a storm was brewing when the wedding got delayed 2 hrs., which, ordinarily, wouldn't be much of an issue, if.... the wedding wasn't scheduled for sunset on a beach. 

   But since the wedding was set up for the ensuing darkness, the fairy lights and lanterns against the backdrop of the moonlight starry sky actually actually worked out to be a great romantic setting. 

   The next giant clue there was a problem, was when Neen burst into tears halfway up the aisle, and they weren't happy tears. 

   By the time she made it to the altar beside New, she was trembling, blowing out snot bubbles and waterlogged apologies. After he gave her the decorative handkerchief in his pocket to clean her face, she whispered that they needed to talk.  New stubbornly and feebly joked that maybe that talk should wait until after the ceremony, although watching he shake her head, he inwardly he knew their 6 year relationship just crashed into an iceberg. 

   He could only grab on to her and hug her close as she tearfully explained into his shoulder, that she loved him and would always be there for him, but she wasn't in love with him.   And that she realized it a while ago, but thought since he was so wonderful, if she stuck it out the love would eventually come, but ...

   At point New stopped listening, feeling so much pain, he forgot to breathe.  Then all of a sudden, a numbness took over, and he just stood there, holding her trembling, tearful form in his arms, a glazed look in his unfocused eyes.  

   Somehow he kept patting her back saying "It's okay. It's okay, with a voice that he couldn't even recognize as his own.

Somehow, in front of a group of shocked relatives and friends he didn't cry. He didn't suffer a mental break.  His body was on autopilot. 

At some point a few friends rushed to him, and he motioned for one of them to take care of Neen.  As her parents to rushed to apologize to the man they had already accepted as a son for the past 6 years, he nodded to them, muttered some reassuring words he couldn't even find for himself.

  The stunned wedding party and some guests mobilized to surround them.  In the ensuing melee, he somehow managed to slip away unnoticed, walking of dazed along the beach.  

A little while later, he was brought back to cognizance by empathetic face of his friend Earth Pirapat Watthanasetsiri,  jingling his car keys in his ear.  

He took the New's hand and placed the keys in them telling him "Go! Take some time for yourself.  I'll deal with everyone else for you.  Just call me to a least let know where you are."

He mouthed "Thank you," with an appreciative glance, then started to walk then run towards the parking lot.  

At first he sat in the car with his head against the steering wheel, not knowing where he could possibly go to escape the turmoil in his head.  Eventually he decided, and so texting Earth the words "Headed home," New turned off his phone, and drove the three hours from Hua Hin back to Bangkok.  

                                                                                        ***

He had been 30 minutes into nursing the same scotch on the rocks, the ice having become water long ago, way too depressed to even drink, when sun-kissed skin with an all-hope-is-lost demeaner slumped on to the bar stool next to him.