Chapter 18: Birthday

Rosé P.O.V

I woke up to the sun shining on my face, I rolled on my bed to find it empty. I patted on my side table to find my phone to check time.

It was 7 in the morning and I had to leave at 9 for work and it was early for Chanyeol to leave too. I checked our washroom and then our walking closet but he's nowhere in house. I sighed.

I made my coffee and sat on the breakfast table to read all the birthday messages that flooded my inbox.

Every wish made me smile but I didn't feel contended. The only wish I expected and wanted was my husband's. I didn't know how long I was sighing when Ahna appeared from no where.

"You okay?" She asked concerned and I nodded.

After replying to messages and getting ready, I went to the hospital. All of the nurses and my interns had prepared a small surprise for me but still my mind was stuck on Chanyeol.

'Why did he leave so early in the morning without any word. It's so unlikely of him. Did I do something wrong?'

I was battling with my thoughts when my pager beeped and I ran to the VIP room. The patient was having epileptic attacks and I gave her a shot of lorazepam and monitored her vitals for a while and left.

I was in the hallway when someone jerked me from behind. I gasped on the sudden movement and turned around.

"Wendy-ah I almost tripped because of you." I said annoyed.

"Hey birthday girl, you can leave by 3 today. I'll be covering for your evening shift." She said.

"You don't need to be that nice. It's fine and I don't have to do much-" She cut me off.

"Consider it as a birthday gift." She said in a rather adamant tone just when she got paged. I mouthed a 'thank you' as she ran to the emergency room.

__

I came back home to find my kitchen extremely messy. All I could see was too much floor and little kitchen. I was about to call Ahna when I heard Chanyeol on the phone,

"Yeah Noona. I've mixed sugar and flour and..."

He was still on the phone but I had realised already what he's doing. Not only his act brought smile to my face but I was blushing too. I tried to make no sound but suddenly my feet come in contact with a shopper bag of groceries.

'This guy is so messy.'

Now his attention was on the figure he just saw. And he asked me without putting his phone down,
"Why are you back early?"

"I umm Wend.. wendy covered for me today." I said stuttering.

I could see a look of disappointment on his face. And just then when I said,
"I'll change and help you with this. You know I love baking."

He weakly nodded and put his phone aside. I went to my room and changed into casual clothes and joined him. Just when I was stirring the dry he whispered,
"You ruined the surprise."

"Chan, I appreciate your coming back early for making a cake for my birthday." I said in a sincere tone that made him smile.

I playfully fisted a handful of flour and poured it at him, a trail of white dust everywhere. I giggled as I ran but he was faster than I was.