Prologue (Draft 2021)

"It's revenge plain and simple." Said the lead detective.

The man is rather tall and is currently in his mid-thirties. He has a five o'clock shadow for his facial features and hair combed back. He has a few gray hairs in the mix of it. However, he seems to be built to withstand a few punches. As if bricks were thrown at him, he'll be able to shrug them off.

With the wind blowing his coat from his feet, you could say it's a beautiful sight. However, this gore bath was nothing but beautiful scenery. There was blood almost everywhere around the house. As if the house itself was the murder victim. The investigators and the police were all on the scene. Police officers were taken pictures and samples of the crime scene. To see what monster could have done this.

"Are you sure, Harver?" Said the female rookie. She seemed very timid at the sight she saw. She has never seen anything like this except for horror movies.

She wasn't very tall. 5'2 at the most. She had blonde hair in a ponytail and hazel eyes. She is very lean, with no muscle definition, but she is an able cop.

"If you've been in the gig as long as I have, then you can see it," Harver said calmly.

"How?" She asked.

"There's one victim here that we cannot identify," He started, "the victim's face is unrecognizable. It's cut and mashed through with so much force and hate. The rest of the victims didn't receive the same treatment. So, that tells me that the person who did this was only after that one victim and the rest were in the way."

In amazement, the rookie's jaw dropped. "You can tell that just from standing here?!"

"Of course not," Harver said in an even tone. "I had to see the victims' bodies first and then come up with a conclusion. I could be wrong for all we know."

"Really? But how? You seemed so sure of it." The rookie asked in a confused tone.

"Yes, but this could have been a team," Harver said. "If that's the case, then we have multiple outcomes of this event."

"Sir!" Another policeman called out. Harver looked in the man's direction. "You have to come and see this!"

Harver nodded and brought along the rookie with him. Once the goliath of a man walked up to the car, he asked: "What is it?"

"We have video evidence of what happened last night." The police officer said in an almost panicked voice.

"How? Did they send it to the police department?" Harver asked in a rushed wonder why he didn't receive the video first.

"It's- it's trending online, sir." He simply said as he handed Harver his phone.

Harver snatched the phone right away. The phone looks like a small flat box in his hands. Harver saw the play button for the video. He clicked on the video.

The video was shakey and had poor quality to its video. But you could hear people screaming, yelling to get out of the house. The person recording the video was female since you could hear her panic huffs closest to the video. Through the commotion, she had found a door but not one she was hoping for.

A man was standing above someone. This man was wearing all black, and his clothes looked like they didn't fit properly. You could hear begging of some kind. The man in all black grabbed the individual. The voice came out dark and inhuman, as if the man wasn't a man but the devil itself. The man said something initially, but the words couldn't be heard. Just the last phrase was audible: "... the last thing you're gonna see is you!"

The man was repeatedly stabbing the individual multiple times. The woman recording the video screamed, and the video ended.

Harver is astonished at what he has witnessed. Then something popped into his head. That voice, that voice sounded very familiar. He went back to the part when the man spoke. Harver reminded that scene multiple times until he figured it all out.

"Harver?" The rookie asked. Harver snapped out of his trans. "Are you oka-"

"Get the person who took this video!" Harver demanded to the police officer as he handed back the phone. The officer didn't say a word but nodded and got into his car.

Harver strutted off to his car. The rookie followed suit. "Wait, Harver, what happened?" She asked as she tried to keep up with him.

"Stay here and look for any more clues! I need to check on something!" He demanded. The rookie stopped in her tracks. She didn't say anything, just stared at the large man leaving for his car.

Once Harver got into his car, he slammed the door. He put a palm on his forehead and sighed in anger. Through gridded teeth, he said: "Ryder."