Chapter 1: The Carnival

There I was. There it was.

I watched as the ship swung back and forth.

I have never seen anything like it.

Accompanied alone, hundreds of people let out screams and yelps as their stomachs dropped to their feet.

"Next!" they informed.

I took a step onto the ride. This is what I have been waiting for. I feel some sort of comfort here in this seat. Broken wood running through my hands; patience escaping through my wounds.

The clanking of the red button ran through my ears. And we were off.

I felt, free.

I had never been to a carnival before; this must had been what she was telling me about.

My clothes shuddered in the wind, as my hands flew up in excitement.

Boat n' boots a swingin'. This ride, this boat, was honored by the community.

I had only visited this place once before. When I was 18. It was fully payed for by my school. I came with my friends Sheila, Indi, and a few other classmates.
They weren't there.

As the ride came to a holt, I stepped off, feeling fulfilled of our dreams.
Though I am not home, wandering around in a sea of people, this ride is the only thing I will feel. I reassured myself. I had been feeling lowly Ill since I got here. Maybe it was the ride. Maybe it was the food I had earlier

I felt the need to rest before my burgers sat in the chair next to me. I stepped over a sign & made my way to a table near the ride, where I proceeded to text my brother. I call him Andi. His real name was, unknown to me; for his existence was brought to my attention merely a month ago. He, has trouble with new people. We had a strong bond, it's like, we knew each other from a different life.

My hands, bruised from wood & the pace of my fingers. He informed me that a storm was coming in. You know that one kid who hides in their room during a storm? That's him, but I like storms. They used to happen all the time. I would stand outside & catch a cold through those tiny droplets of joy. Surely, due to the rain, I would have no choice but to leave the carnival, before they made us. It was 9 PM, & they close at 11.

It was 9:32 now, we hadn't been talking as long as we usually do.

Around me was the noise of the boat.

I heard people yelling, mistaking it for their excitement.

Suddenly, my environment got darker. The light of my phone illuminating my surroundings.
I heard someone yelling towards me. "HEY HEY, FUN." I think that's what they said.

I never understood why people who don't even know you, can just walk up to you and make you either feel good, or bad about yourself. I wanted to yell "Hey hey." to them back. Why can such a comment be manipulated by someone's tone?

That someone ran the other way.

Deep in thought, I felt the impact of wood, scraping against my arm and face. I smelt iron. My eyes narrowed as my mouth did the talking.

I saw an overhead view of The Carnival. It was so beautiful. The lights, the rides, the eyes staring back at me.

I landed on a pile of cups; but I did not win a prize.

My phone, zipped in my pocket. I could hear it. Ringing of messages from my brother.

Many people surrounded me. I could not see them, just hear them.

I could see Sheila & Indi.

I could see people who looked just like me, there for the same entertainment.

They too looked deep in thought.

I wore glasses, but I stepped on them. I had friends, but I troubled them. I hear voices, but can't silence them.

The thin roof above me, deepening in the taps of home. Rain.