3. You Confuse Me

Your POV

Following slightly behind Lauren while we walk isn't the worst thing. I'd prefer to walk beside her, but like everything else, Jauregui sees me speeding up as some sort of competition.

"Y/L/N." I hear her say and direct my attention to her no longer looking out at the school buildings as we make our way to the field.

"We're just gonna check out the field and locker room and then come back to class alright?" she says without looking back.

"Yea that's fine with me I don't really care Jauregui." I smile to myself as I put an emphasis on her last name.

I see her look down and shake her head from my stance behind her and just laugh to myself knowing I managed to get under her skin.

I guess last names are our thing now. I kind of like it not going to lie. Maybe competing with Lauren isn't going to be so terrible after all.

As we approach what I assume is the practice field I'm met with a beautiful sight to behold. Theres real tended to grass with white lines spray painted in instead of turf, a beautifully managed track around the edges with no chipped paint, and bleachers that don't look like they'll fall apart if you so much as breath on them. Which is a HUGE improvement over my old school. Public schools am I right?

"Holy shit Lauren this is great." I laugh as I start lightly jogging, making my way to the gate on the fence surrounding the field.

"Yea it's pretty good. Our athletics program isn't doing to bad so they recently redid our fields." Lauren mutters as she walks through the gate behind me shutting it. Joining me as we cross the track to reach the field in the center.

I turn to face her as I back pedal making my way out to the mid point. "Come on Jauregui, you have a ball on you? We have time to spare."

She raises an eyebrow at me and sighs before shrugging her backpack off of her shoulders and placing it on the ground next to mine that I shrugged off. Unzipping hers and pulling a red and white soccer ball out and tossing it on the field in front of her.

"Yea actually. I do. Just don't cry when I clown you." She says as she dribbles the ball up to center circle while putting her hair up.

Now the thing about me is I'm not a competitive person. But, if someone talks down on me or thinks they're better than me, then you bet your ass I'm going to get serious.

"Okay so how do you want to do this Jauregui? One on defense one on offense?" I say in a serious tone getting aggravated with her cockiness as I pull my hair into a bun.

Lauren's confident expression falters a bit and her eyes widen slightly as she hears my voice change. That's right Jauregui you're fucked.

"Uh yea sure. We switch every goal or steal. First to 2 wins we don't have much time left
Y/L/N." Lauren says furrowing her eyebrows as she sets herself up at the top of the field and adjusts her hair making sure its tightly kept to keep it from getting in the way.

Theres a moment of quiet. Neither of us move or break eye contact. The world seems to fade away as me and Lauren stare into each other's eyes. My Y/E/C orbs staring into the shinning and hypnotizing swirl of green in front of me.

When all of a sudden, I blink and she's gone.

I quickly pivot on my right foot and look behind me to see Lauren sprinting down the field with the ball in front of her.

Shit I underestimated her! I hear my brain scold me as I pick up my legs and begin to sprint after her.

"Lauren!" I yell at her as I start to catch up. Thank god I ran track I think I'm faster than her.