Dan 24:

“Chris, we have to do something. We can’t just let him rot in there. He isn’t eating and you know it. Have you ever once heard him get up off the bed to collect what we place at his doorstep? No. Whenever we slide more food under there, we constantly have to move plates around to make room for it. And oh my GOD does it smell.” I heard PJ telling Chris. They seemed just about a few meters away.

“Yes, I know PJ. But what are we going to do? He won’t listen to us. I don’t even know what he does in there.” Chris said.

“I don’t know. Something.”

“For all we know, he could be dead. We haven’t heard from him for ages. How do we know he’s still even in there?”

There was a silence after Chris said this. I figured it was time I at least told them I was here. They should at least know that I am alive. I unlocked the door and stepped out. I squinted from the brightness, and when my eyes adjusted I was trapped in PJ’s embrace.

“Dan!” He screamed in my ear. “My God, I thought you were dead!”

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. Wasn’t feeling well.” I replied. There was some truth to it. But really, I just wanted to be alone.

“We thought we were talking to any empty room for a moment there.” Chris admitted.

“Oh, heh. Sorry I didn’t say anything. I was just really tired.” I said. And then my knees buckled. Chris caught me before I could hit the ground and laid me down gently.

“I’ll go get you something to eat.” PJ said, rushing to the kitchen.

“Have you eaten anything at all in the past few months Dan?” Chris asked me, his eyes darting around the room, probably for something to shove in my mouth.

“I, uhm, I ate a bit of some salad last week. Maybe a cracker. Uh, some bread.” I rambled.

“Oh, Dan.” Chris hugged me again. PJ ran back in with a bowl of soup for me. I declined but PJ shoved the spoon in my mouth anyways.

“Dan you’ve got to eat something. You can’t keep living like this.” PJ announced.

“I have been for a few months now, I think I’ll be fine. If you would please step aside Chris and let me back into my room.” I stated.

“No.” Chris stood his ground. “I’m not letting you go back in there and ruin your life.”

“Chris, just let me through.” I tried pushing him away but his feet were firmly placed.

“Absolutely not.” PJ moved to stand beside Chris.

“Guys come on,” I hadn’t managed to move either of them. And I was too weak now to try again. So I pushed them once more and sank to the ground, too frail and tired to go on. And I was laughing. I was lying on the cold hard floor, laughing.

Chris and PJ looked at me like I was insane. They both kneeled down to my level and looked at me, bewildered. I thought about standing up and sprinting inside, locking the door behind me. But that was selfish. I was done being selfish.

I know now that it was wrong of me to lock myself up like that. But I didn’t know that PJ and Chris cared so much about me. Yet there I was, laughing at nothing and everything. Finally I can get on with my life. I won’t go back to how it was before. I don’t believe that I can. I don’t trust myself to.