Chapter 14: She's Got a Way

Lobby, Lynx Resort. February 4, 2005. Friday afternoon.

"And that wasn't the worst part," Neal said. He was sprawled in an armchair across from Diana as he related his experiences with the infatuated Mandy. She'd finally left him at two o'clock when she was due to meet her mom for a late lunch. Neal had returned to his room to change his clothes and then went on the prowl for Diana. As expected, he found her with her laptop in the lobby. The reception area at the Lynx Resort was furnished with several U-shaped conversation groups consisting of rustic armchairs and cocktail tables. Diana had chosen a chair close to the main passageway where she could keep an eye on anyone arriving.

At the moment though, she was regarding him with a look of faint sympathy. "What did you expect? If you're going to warble 'Heaven' like that, you have to be prepared for the consequences."

Neal flashed her a sheepish grin. "All right, I may have gotten a little carried away with that song, but I didn't believe Mandy's hormones would go that far into overdrive. She's just a kid, after all."

Diana was unimpressed. "Mandy's only a couple of years younger than you."

"More like seven."

She dismissed his argument with a shrug. "Like I said, you're meant for each other."

"I'll continue to stay friendly with Mandy but I've no intention of being seduced by her—your snorts aren't helpful, you know." He put his elbow on one of the armrests and propped his chin on his hand. "Besides, she's a good kid, even if she is delusional. I don't want to hurt her." Leaning forward, he added in a low voice, "She told me she wants me to be her first."

Diana stopped any pretense of working on her laptop and laughed in his face. "Be gentle, Caffrey."

"I give up."

"All right, Lothario, give me a chance to think." Diana did have the grace to at least look like she was considering options. "Why don't you just tell her you're gay?"

"That won't work," Neal said, shaking his head. "Neal Legend is known to be straight."

"Here's an out-of-the-box solution. Tell her the truth. You already have a girlfriend."

"I did. She doesn't care. She says she'll happily be my mistress. Can you even have a mistress if you're not married?"

"I might be willing to help you out, but I'm supposed to be making a play for Max Rinaldi. I can't go after you both. Well, I could, but don't you think that'd be a little disingenuous?"

"Yeah, you're probably right. I'll fall back on option B. Eat raw garlic. That'll be the kiss of death." Neal sighed and gazed around the lobby. "I take it you haven't seen Max all day? Mandy said he was going to be in meetings till the evening."

"She was right. I did see the bodyguards. Lamar made an appearance at 10 a.m. and Rocko wandered down at 2 p.m. Each one spent about an hour before heading back upstairs. I've been spending my time between the lobby and the restaurant."

"Travis and Jones have been spelling you, right?"

"Yes, and on the plus side, my story's coming along very well."

Neal grinned. "Details, please."

She looked at him skeptically. "You sure you want to hear about this?"

Neal leaned forward in anticipation. "Definitely."

"All right, but don't go poking holes in my portrayals. You and Peter have been recast as Neal Carter and Peter Gilman. I usurped two of Lovecraft's heroes, Randolph Carter and Walter Gilman, to create them."