Episode 9

"What do lovebirds have to do with anything?"

Xavier shrugs. "Beats me."

Episode 9

"I knew it." Xavier's voice startles Annabelle in my arms, and I glare at him. "Sorry," he says sheepishly. He glares at the paper in his hand and then turns to his cellphone, typing quickly before putting it away. Then he turns to Evelyn with a smile. "Okay, Evelyn," he says. "Come sit with me."

She eagerly clambers on to his lap, curling into him with a big, toothy grin. "Lub yew, papa."

"I love you too, Evelyn." Xavier's voice is serious. "Did you find trouble today?" he asks quietly. He's being gentle still, but I can hear the reprimand in his tone.

Her smile immediately falls from her face and she shakes her head.

His eyes are stern. "Tell the truth."

She slowly nods her head, her eyes brimming with tears.

"Why did you fight in daycare today?"

She pouts. "Bwian push," she says.

"And why did Brian push you?" he asks.

She lowers her eyes, but her tiny fist clenches; she's angry. "My toy," she tells him.

Xavier arches an eyebrow. "Was it really yours?"

She starts to nod, but Xavier's face reminds her that telling the truth is likely the best course of action.

I know she's waiting for a reprimand. As much as she hates disappointing him, she's been getting in trouble frequently. Instead of that, though, Xavier tips her chin up and kisses her forehead. "You know you're my Little Miracle, my Princess, right?"

She nods, her lip quivering.

"You're my Princess, that means you have to act like a princess. Do you know what that means? It means, no more fighting over toys. It means you have to wait your turn. Ask politely. You can't hurt your friends." When she nods in agreement, he pulls her against his chest and kisses her hair. "I love you," he tells her.

She presses herself closer to him in response. "Papa?"

"Princess?"

"Miss yew," she mumbles.

He holds her closer. "I've missed you too, little one. Very much."

"Stay?"

He sighs. In the past couple of weeks, Evelyn has been asking that same question a lot. When Xavier's response is negative, she usually goes and gets into trouble in daycare or at home. She's been throwing tantrums when we have to go-or attempting to, because Xavier's face usually stops her cold.

Today I'm afraid he's going to give the usual answer and cause more tears and tantrums, but he just smiles. "Why don't you come with me?"

Her eyes pop open and she looks at him, excited.

He nods. "You'll come with Mama and me tomorrow, and you can meet Mister Andre and see Papa Van der Belt. You remember him, right?"

She nods, bouncing excitedly in his lap.

I raise my eyebrows at him, and he mouths at me to wait until she's asleep. When she finally conks out on our bed, I turn to Xavier. "We're taking them?"

He sighs. "Kieran hasn't improved much. They were able to to stabilize him without the respirator again, but... he still shows no signs of coming back." His voice wavers for just a second. "Andre is in the middle of questioning the expedition team... the financial inquiry came back with two suspects, both of whom have to be interrogated. There are land disputes and legal appeals, and-"