Chapter Four

She feels the chains gnawing at her skin before she can open her eyes. It's frigid and tight, but it's nothing compared to the feverish twinge churning in her temples as she let her lids blink open. She lays on the floor of a steel cart, a tiny gleam of light peeking through a small window caged with bars—almost like a prison cell. Kade's been in a prison cell before, many times actually, and still, this place was different.

As she looks closer out the window, the trees and sky drive quickly along with the cart, so she can barely get a good view of the surroundings. she hears the clatter of galloping hooves trot under her in patterns, and when the cart brushes over a bump,  her body stumbles forwards. she clutches onto the floor to try and steady herself, but more lumps jerk her around. She's moving.

But where is she going? Where is she? What about Aideen and Ivy and Wesely?

Where are they?

Panic renders her heart to pump vigorously and she swallows, the arid air making her feel even sicker.

"She's awake," A voice says from the distant shadows of the cart.

Kade blinks and sees two people with their backs rested on the shiny steel, watching her with careful eyes like a hawk. They're both in Flame armored suits, but it's unfamiliar seeing a soldier other than Wesley without a helmet on. A woman sits with short black hair and fox almond eyes. piercings sweep up her ear and a single one shimmers on the side of her nose. Besides her, a broad man with short shaved blonde hair. He was a wad of pure muscle, his limbs hardly shaped and refined. His face holds an awful scowl, and he towers over the small woman like a giant. He should scare Kade, but remembering how she dealt with the large men in the tavern, he's the least of her worries.

But in all the moment's Kade tries to tell herself to be brave--to never let her fear control her, she is shaken by the confusion of the night before and scared of the unfamiliar territory.

"Goodmorning Princess." Says the woman leaning forward on her knee with a smirk.

"Where...where am I?" Kade replies, her voice shakes.

"A Flame carriage. Don't even think of trying to escape...or using your powers. I won't hesitate to charge my knife through your throat."

Kade touches her hands to her neck and holds her breath. Did the woman just say powers? No...what happened back there...that wasn't real. It was merely a dream.

"And where are we going?" Kade says, cautiously.

The woman picks at her nails and doesn't look up as she casually says, "Calix."

Kade's so appalled, she can barely push her worries off her tongue. "Calix!" she exclaims, "Why the hell are you taking her to Fajra?" her voice is more angry than shaken now, and she leans forwards, demanding an explanation. Calix is miles away from Brumos—its Capitol of the country of Fajra—the home of the Flames. She's never been there, and she has her reasons why.

Kade looks up, unimpressed, almost offended. "We can't let the Tides get to you, nor any other powerless folk."

The woman gapes at Kade with a dazed look of bewilderment. She glances back and shifts her eyes towards her bulky friend.

"It's alright Prophet. You don't have to hide anymore." The woman says with a subtle laugh.

"Prophet?" Kade's breath pulls back in a gasp, and her muscles tense. "No...I'm no prophet. There's...there's been a mistake."

The woman rolls her eyes and crunches her brows together. "We all saw what you did back in Brumos. If you think you can hide what you are after that, that would be quite difficult."