Prologue

I'd never been an impulsive person. I didn't quite understand people who were. Why would my uncle gamble away sixty years of savings in one night at the casino? Why would our neighbor's son be so rash as to not put on a condom before he accidentally knocked up his fifteen-year-old girlfriend? Why were so many people ready to risk everything for a quick rush of adrenaline?

I grew up in an uptight household. My parents sent me to a private Catholic elementary school, where we studied very select parts of the bible and the teachers warned us of the evil deceptions the world would try to force on us once we left.

I knew I was different from my classmates. They'd memorize what they were told to, while I'd read the assignments telling me my existence was a sin with a growing sense of guilt and confusion.

It always seemed a bit too fictional to me. Like it was 'us good Christians against the world.' Even at a young age, I was able to see many inconsistencies in what the nuns taught us in school versus what was actually written in the bible. There was too much negative interpretation for my liking.

I was glad to leave the uptight world of Christianity and enter one of normality once high school started. I actually met people I could have normal conversations with, without feeling ashamed of my existence.

I told my friends I was gay as soon as I met them. I'd been tired of keeping it to myself throughout my childhood, and the thought of building more relationships on lies had become too much for me to handle.

It's good we won't be fighting over girls then, I remember Sam saying, before offering to go to the Rocky Horror Picture Show with me. At least he was well-intentioned.

People at school treated me as they would any other person. I'd get a few disapproving looks now and then, but it was high school. Who could get through it without a strange look once in a while?

One thing about me, I liked knowing what my future held. Trading spontaneity for stability was a decision I made with ease. Why would somebody choose to go to a last-minute party instead of getting actual work done and having inner peace? I couldn't even think about turning in a late assignment without getting physically uncomfortable. My parents' rigidness had definitely rubbed off on me in some ways.

My life was a stable cycle of schoolwork, family dinners, and casual hangouts with my friends, who'd tell me crazy stories of their wild nights out.

Oh, and doing everything to hide my sexuality from my parents.

It was only a matter of time before I snapped.

***