Prologue

I awoke from my sleep to the sound of the waves nearby. I left my bed and began to walk through the tight corridors, passing many other empty beds.

"I guess I overslept." I commented to myself.

I walked through the corridors and headed up the stairs, the sun's blinding light escaping into the hall. When I reached the deck, I looked around, seeing the members of the crew all working. For as long as I can remember, I've lived my life with my dad and the crew aboard his fishing boat, The Bruce. My father and I do have a home, but we've both come to love our time on the ocean more than any time we were living on land. We fish around the southern seas of Japan and come to whatever harbor is closest by to sell the fish.

The cloudy blue sky was above us and the waves of the ocean around us gently hit the side of the ship. I took a deep breath of the ocean air as I turned and began to head up the stairs to the wheelhouse. I reached the door and entered the room.

As I entered, a man in his late forties was talking to the helmsman "It looks like a storm is approaching." He said "Be sure that the crew is prepared for it if it hits us."

"Mornin' Dad." I said.

Within the wheelhouse, Dad turned to face me. He was smiling, but shook his head at me and said "Good Morning Y/n. I wish you would start waking up earlier so you can help out around the ship a bit more."

"Right. Sorry Dad." I apologized.

"It's fine. Now how about you get some food and get started with your studies for the day." Dad suggested

"Sounds good to me." I replied. I headed back below deck and headed to the mess area. It looks like there's a bit more leftover breakfast from this morning than usual. I ate quickly before I headed to my bunk and grabbed from beside it a bag. I brought it back to the mess area and I pulled out a couple of textbooks, a few notebooks, and a pencil. For the most part, I've not really spent much time in an actual school. I never knew my mother and Dad has never really been on good terms with his family and he spends most of the year on The Bruce so I've instead been homeschooled by Dad when I was younger. Now that I'm older however, my education is mostly self study from the textbooks that Dad buys when we're in town.

I spent an hour or two studying before I decided to take a break. I took a book out of my bag and went to my bunk. I sat atop the covers and started to continue where I had left off the last time I had read. I absorbed myself in the story I was reading when the next thing I knew, two hours had passed.

"I know that I should probably get back to my studies, but a little bit longer won't hurt." I said before I returned to my book.

-------------------------------------

I woke up to the sound of waves crashing against the side of The Bruce. I guess I had accidentally dozed off while reading. I looked to check the time to find a considerable amount of time had passed and dinner for everyone should be happening about now..

"I remember Dad mentioned a storm this morning. I should probably head out to see if I can do anything to help." I mumbled to myself. I got up and put on my jacket before I headed up onto the deck of the ship.

Once I reached the deck, I saw a black, stormy sky above us with rain falling upon us in droves and the wind blew harshly around us. I saw that the waves themselves were the size of the ship and when they crashed against the side of the ship they would go over the railings. The crew was working hard to prevent the ship from capsizing. I tried to get to the wheelhouse where I last saw my father, the slick deck of the ship slowing me down. Eventually I got to the wheelhouse and outside I saw Dad barking orders at the crew around us. The crew was working as hard as they could when a humongous wave easily trice the size of The Bruce was approaching us. When the wave hit us, The Bruce was knocked and was flipping onto its side. I tried to hold onto the rail beside Dad when something had fallen and after a sharp pain on the head, I began to lose consciousness, Dad screaming in concern. The last thing I saw was him letting go of the railing to head towards me.

--------------------------------------------

I woke up dry and under the covers of a bed I've never seen before in unfamiliar clothing. My mind was groggy and my head hurt. I reached up at the back of my head and felt that there were bandages around my head. Realizing why those bandages were around my head, I remembered everything. I hopped out of the bed and began to run through the halls of the ship, I didn't know where I was going but I knew that if I followed where the sound of the waves were clearest, I would find myself on deck.

I soon saw the sun peeking in and I ran up the stairs. On the deck, I saw the unfamiliar people working.

I approached one and came up to him. "Where am I? Where is my Dad?"

The stranger was surprised to see me awake, and said "You're that kid." He then looked towards the wheelhouse and called out "Hey Captain! The kid is awake!"

A moment later, I saw a man with a man older than my father with a short white beard leave the wheelhouse and head this way. "Hey kid! Come with me."

Assuming the man was the captain, I followed him until we reached an empty room for the crew. There was a table with two long bolted down chairs surrounding it. The captain sat down at one of the chairs and I sat across from him on the other.

"I'm Masahiro Yoshinari. I'm the captain of this ship, The Waterlily. We're a part of a fleet of fishing ships managed by the company of a family in Uchiura" Captain Yoshinari said.

"I'm Y/n L/n." I responded.

Captain Yoshinari then let out a cough to get my attention before he asked "Do you remember where you were before you woke up here?"

"Yeah, I was with my father aboard his ship, The Bruce. We were hit by a really bad storm and the ship was capsizing when I got hit by something. After that I don't remember anything. Have you found anyone else?" I said

Captain Yoshinari looked at me and said "I'm sorry. We found you unconscious drifting alone. We haven't seen anyone else."

Upon hearing that, I couldn't help but assume the worst. Is my Dad really gone? Will I never see him again? As these thoughts through my mind, I wanted to be upset, to feel something, but I felt numb. "I-I see." I managed to stammer out.

"Tell me kid, how old are you?" Captain Yoshinari asked.

"I just turned eighteen a month ago." I answered.

"I see. Well apparently the daughter of the head of the family who manages our fleet had talked to the family who runs the local ryokan and have offered to take you in as long as you are willing to help out there." Captain Yoshinari explained.

"I see, I'll have to thank them for their kindness." I managed to get out.

"I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully we can get in contact with some family of yours to take you in, but for now you'll be staying in Uchiura." Captain Yoshinari said.

"Okay." I said. My head was starting to pound more fiercely than before as I thought about this.

"Now you need some more rest, kid. The bed you woke up in is yours to use while you're aboard." Captain Yoshinari said.

"Thank you." I stammered out as I got up and walked through the halls until I found my way back to the crew accommodations. I saw the bed I was in, still a mess from my rush. I laid back in the bed and stared at the ceiling above me until I fell to sleep.

-----------------------------------------------

A/n: Here is the prologue to my new story. Slow start for now, but I promise that Yo will make her first appearance in the next chapter. By the way, I write it as Yo since I feel it can be a bit confusing with You being her name and you being a pronoun. I would differentiate it more by writing as Yō, but I have to pull that up from a large menu in google docs and that's just too annoying for my tastes