Chapter 9

Three Days Later...

After I finished my work at the ryokan for the day, I headed out to take a walk through town and as the cool autumn winds blew, I saw the elderly man that had given me the original clue that my father worked on a fishing boat, struggling to carry multiple large boxes down the street.

I headed over to him and said "Hey Mr. let me help you out."

"Hm? Oh there's no need for that young man." he replied

"Of course there's a need. I owe you quite a bit" I said as I took one box from the top of the pile.

The old man looked at me and after noticing my jacket, he said "Oh well if it isn't you. I haven't seen you in a while. It sounds like what I answered your questions about was helpful. I'm glad to hear that."

"It really was. If you want, while we're taking this stuff to wherever you were taking it, I can tell you why I needed it. By the way, what should I call you?" I replied.

"Just call me Mizuki. I was curious as to why it was important to you anyway." he said.

After I took another one of the large boxes off his hands, I followed behind him, explaining to him how I grew up and the owner of the jacket having been my father.

Mr. Mizuki looked at me with a look of pity on his face and said "I'm sorry to hear about your loss. At your age I can hardly imagine how it is to be alone."

I looked at with a smile and said "Maybe I felt alone with nothing left when I first got here, but I'm not alone anymore and I'm trying to start a new life here in Uchiura. The people I'm staying with are kind and I've even found love. And thanks to your help, I'm getting so close to finding out the truth about my mother and father. So thank you for your help."

Mr. Mizuki chuckled for a moment and said "I'm happy to hear that. And you've found love? Heheh, the wonders of youth."

"She's the one who dragged me out of the dark patch I was in. I felt like I had nowhere left but now I know that as long as she's near, I'll always be able to find my place here." I said. Just like what Captain Yoshinari said about Dad believing that as long as he was beside her, he had a home here in Uchiura, Yo Watanabe is my heart like Mom was for Dad.

We soon reached our destination and I saw that in front of us was a small boat, it looked like it hadn't been touched in a while and was filled with old odds and ends.

Mr. Mizuki sighed and said "This is where we're bringing these. It's been a few years, but I think it's about time I step aboard again."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

Mr. Mizuki had a sad expression as he said "When I was younger, I would always go boating with my wife, Hisako, and my kids. But a while back, I lost her. Since then, I've been alone since my children have all left and in the end, coming here became painful and so I left it here, to gather dust. An old friend of mine had told me that he'd make sure it still worked for when I wanted to try and boat again." he sighed, "But I've left it alone for too long. The memories from this boat are too dear to me and so I don't want to leave the boat to gather dust any longer."

I put the box down and said "Let me help you out Mr. Mizuki."

He looked at me and smiled "Thanks you Y/n."

We then began to work to clean up and return the boat to good condition, moving old things to a shed beside his home. As the sun began to set, we had finished and the boat was much cleaner.

"Thank you so much" Mr. Mizuki said

"I'm glad I could help you out." I said

"Say, I have an idea how I can pay you back for this." Mr. Mizuki said "Do you know how to steer a boat?"