⁰⁵, GRADE EVALUATION

having the strongest sorcerer alive as your older brother ought to have some advantages, but disadvantages too – it was a deal package. the moment ayumi had shown potential in jujutsu sorcery, the elders had had their eye on the girl. being the defiant young adult he was, satoru tried to shield his little sister from elders, or as he would have said ''geezers''. however, not even he could be at two places at the same time.

''when did the notice come in?!'' satoru demanded, glaring at a man through his glasses. ayumi was sitting on a couch, her brother next to her, holding a letter addressed to the gojō clan. the man across the two – mister takahashi, as ayumi liked to call him – was sweating his ass off, avoiding satoru's gaze.

''four days ago.''

''and why wasn't i informed earlier?'' the white-haired male complained. he turned towards his little sister, sending her a pointed look at which she just rolled her eyes.

''i'm fourteen, satoru.'' ayumi emphasized but smiled nonetheless. ''i can take care of this myself. besides, i've had plenty of training from you and nanami-san.''

satoru narrowed his bright eyes at the younger girl, silent for a few seconds and his lips pursed. with a click of his tongue, the older gojō sibling nodded his head. he pulled the girl into a side hug, faking sniffles and cries.

''my little mimi is growing up!''

''sato–''

''–she won't need me anymore! ''

''sator–''

''–how will i ever get over this!''

ayumi, flushed with embarrassment, apologized to mister takahashi. the older man got the memo and stood up, respectfully bowed, and walked away from the two siblings. satoru finally broke down and let ayumi out of his bone-crushing hug. as she fixed her hair, the girl mumbled angrily under her breath. her brother's soft gaze did not go unnoticed.

''what?'' she sent him a questioning look at which he only shook his head. a small smile played on the male's lips as he spoke.

''i keep forgetting you're almost fifteen. it feels like it was yesterday when you begged me to help you reach the cookies.''

ayumi's body began to transform as she started her adolescence. she gained some height, but not nearly enough to clear the 160-cm barrier, and she blamed satoru for stealing all her genes. she was too lazy to properly maintain her hair, therefore it was kept short. her typically white hair had purple flecks at the ends that matched the hue of her cursed energy. puberty changed her face a bit. she was slowly losing the baby cheeks and was developing light, but barely noticeable, freckles that ran along her nose. the gojō gene was prominent in her as much as it was in satoru, giving the siblings sort of an ethereal glow to them.

the grade evaluation was a pretty simple thing in jujutsu society. the elders would come together and assign a curse to the one being evaluated, the process would then be repeated multiple times to make the evaluation as correct as possible. for ayumi, it was her fifth –and possibly last – mission. she was hoping this one would be easier than the previous one. the girl sat in the backseat of a car, ijichi driving. she had met the man on multiple occasions when visiting her brother on campus.

''good luck, ayumi-san.''

''thank you ijichi-san!''

ayumi waved to the man, who then spread a curtain over the building. the girl took a careful look at the mentioned structure. she shut her eyes and concentrated on her surroundings. she let her cursed energy flow freely but not turbulently through her entire body. ayumi could feel her cursed energy resonating with multiple different sources in the building as she breathed in. Before entering the building, she reopened her star-like irises and grinned.