Chapter 7

It was Sunday morning, the day after the evaluation. Gon laid on Killua's bed while Killua was asleep with his head on Gon's chest. Gon liked being able to sleep with Killua because he knew he'd be there if anything happened. Gon was willing to do anything to make sure Killua was okay. Gon had a little doctor's appointment of his own today. It was at the hospital, though. He knew that he probably wouldn't hide it from Killua for long, but he had to make it past Tuesday before telling Killua. Gon placed a soft kiss on Killua's head before gently taking Killua's arms from around him. Gon gave Killua one last look before swiftly leaving the room and softly closing the door. Aunt Mito has never caught on when it comes to Gon coming to Killua's room at night. Gon didn't feel like explaining how he felt like he could help Killua to her. Gon took his keys off the table and eventually made his way to the hospital. It wasn't too familiar to Gon. He remembered coming here to visit his grandma a few times before she passed, but it never bothered him when he thought about it. The thought of Killua dying in one of these rooms made Gon's heart rate accelerate and his stomach churn with anxiety. It wasn't the butterflies he felt when he saw someone attractive, it was the type that made him want to scream and tear things apart until everything felt okay again. The thought of Killua dying in this hospital made Gon want to walk out, but he committed to it. 

"Hello. How can I help you?" There was a man at the front desk. His hair was dusty grey and he had poor posture. 

"Gon Freecss. I'm here to do a bone marrow donation." Gon fidgeted with his phone on the desk. 

"Okay. Go to room 214. It's on the second floor. There, they will explain what the procedure is like and what you need to do for recovery. You can't drive yourself home, so you need to call a ride."

"Thank you." Gon cursed himself in his head. He could only really call Killua or Aunt Mito. Neither of them knew what he was doing. Gon barely knew what he was doing. His legs absently followed the signs while Gon's brain was too busy thinking. He was doing this for Killua. Gon didn't really have a plan because he needed both legs to drive his car. He cursed himself for taking his car and not Aunt Mito's. Gon found the room that he was assigned and walked in to see a nurse sitting at a computer and drinking something out of a coffee mug. 

"Gon Freecss?" She turned with a smile until her smile slowly turned into her jaw-dropping in shock. 

"Y-yes." Gon looked at the nurse. It was the same one that did Killua's evaluation. 

"Well. This is odd, isn't it?" She smiled again. "Take a seat, please."

"Heh, yeah." Gon awkwardly shuffled to the bed and took a seat. 

"So I'm guessing you already know Killua?" She started typing. Gon noticed that she didn't type using the 'home row' that was taught in school. 

"Yeah. He's actually my, uh, roommate."

"Very well, then. I can just explain the procedure and-" Gon's phone interrupted her. Gon looked down to see Killua's name across the screen. He scoffed and turned his phone on silent. "Alright." The nurse brushed it off. "I'll explain the procedure and we'll start. So, what we'll do is put you under general anesthesia and then we'll put needles through your skin and directly into the bone to extract the marrow from the bone. Then, you'll be taken to a recovery room for the anesthesia to wear off. Your recovery will look like bruising on the incision point and soreness and pain in your hips and back. We'll be doing your left leg. Any questions?"

Gon thought about track and what excuse he would make up. "How long is the recovery?"

"About twenty days before you can start exercising again. The procedure takes about two hours and the waiting in the hospital afterward is about an hour." The nurse smiled. 

"Okay. Can we start soon?" Gon smiled. 

"Yes. You're really brave. Thank you for this." She started to grab the anesthetic kit. "Lay down for me?" Gon laid back. He was anxious. He didn't know how he was going to get home. He didn't know if this would even cure Killua. He just wanted to do all that he could. The nurse put a breathing mask on Gon. "Okay, can you count down from ten for me?"

"Ten, nine, eight," Gon felt his consciousness slipping, "seven, s-six." He was out. 

Meanwhile, back at Aunt Mito's house, Killua called Gon for the twentieth time. Aunt Mito said she didn't know where Gon was either, so that made Killua worry even more. Killua didn't know why he was so worried. Gon was a good driver, physically inclined, and didn't seem like the type to get into trouble. He was probably out with some friends or needed some space, but Killua still felt like something was wrong or that he did something wrong. Killua sat on Gon's bed and looked around. The walls were a light grey. His bedding was soft and pale blue. He didn't have a bed frame, it was just a box spring and mattress on the floor. Killua laid back and sunk his face into Gon's pillow. It had already been two hours, and Killua felt like he was going insane. He closed his eyes and took in the subtle scent that was left by Gon's cologne. It was cheap-smelling, but it was comforting to Killua at this point. The scent enveloped Killua into its arms and slowly dragged him off into a land of dreams where everything felt better. Suddenly, hours later, Killua was woken up by his phone, which was loosely clutched in his hands, buzzing. He looked at it to see the hospital was calling him. Killua's heart jumped into his throat. It was hard to breathe and he was visibly trembling. 

"Hello?" He quickly spat out what he answered. 

"Hello! Is this Killua?" The voice was the familiar nurse who had been helping him so far. 

"Yea?" Killua squeezed his phone as he held it up to his ear. 

"Gon was on a jog and hurt his leg. He's okay, just a bit sore. Can you come to pick him up from the hospital?"

"Yeah. Is he okay? What happened? Does he need anything else?"

"Icecream!" Killua could hear Gon say groggily in the background.

"He could like some icecream, but I can assure you that isn't a necessity. Thank you. Just check him out at the desk and we'll be there." The nurse hung up. Killua ran down the stairs, his leg in severe pain as he did that. He ran out to his car and climbed in. He didn't bother to buckle or pay attention to any road laws. He would've run into the hospital, but he knew there would probably be repercussions if he did that. He walked in and saw Gon sitting in a wheelchair with gauze and a bandage wrapped around his leg. 

"Hey, I'm checking Gon Freecss out." Killua kept glancing at Gon as the nurse pushed him towards Killua. 

"What is your relation with him?"

"Uh, roommate."

"You can only check him out if you're related or in relation in another way." The man at the desk wasn't about to reason with Killua. 

"Uh, the boyfriend I guess." Killua didn't even look at the receptionist at this point. His eyes were fixed on Gon.

"Okay. He's free to go." The man yawned.

 Killua didn't thank him and automatically kneeled by Gon. "Are you okay?" Killua ran his right hand through Gon's hair while his other was resting on his own leg. 

"Hi, Killua." Gon smiled. The nurse instructed Killua to pull into the pickup area so she could wheel Gon to the car and help him in. Killua did as she said. Once Gon was in his car and they were on their way, Killua intertwined his fingers with Gon's. Killua hated to know that Gon was in pain.