Chapter Fourteen

I woke to the warm, crisp air blowing at my loosened waves. Kyle was next to me still sound asleep. He looked so cute when he slept. His cheeks were tinted pink and his black curls were plastered over one of his eyes.

I shook him awake and he groaned with disdain. He reluctantly sat up and leaned on his elbow for support while lazily scrubbing his eye.

“Hi,” I greeted with a smile on my face. He looked up and I caught his eyes. He tackled me with a hug and kissed my untamed hair.

“Hi,” he whispered back with a smile on his face.

We packed up our picnic baskets and I checked my phone for any angry messages from my Dad. I had been out all night and I didn’t even contact him. Instead, I saw a message from Emilia saying that she covered for me. I clutched my phone to my chest and silently blessed Emilia. What would I do without her?

“All set?” He asked over his shoulder while positioned on his bike. I gave him a thumbs up and hopped on mine. We were riding through the woods on a poorly paved dirt road and I was focusing on keep controlled, steady breaths. Soon enough we came across a giant hill and shouted for Kyle to stop.

“I can’t,” I said breathing heavily and shaking my head. “I just…,” I wheezed and Kyle dropped his bike and came running next to me. I pushed my hands out signaling for him to stop where he was so I could have some breathing space.

He didn’t listen and continued forward.

“Is it asthma?” He said searching my face desperately. I shook my head and placed my arms on top of my head. When I finally managed to gain control of my breathing I spoke.

“No,” I said exhaling through my nose. “It’s just that hill,” I said gesturing to the massive hill in front of us, “is like a mountain to me. I couldn’t climb it let alone ride up it at this rate.”

Kyle looked at me quizzically. “That hill is nothing. It puts a mountain to absolute shame.” I could tell he was confused and I wanted to tell him. I really did.

“I just need a little breather,” I said giving him a smile I hoped was reassuring. He nodded and went back to grab his bike. After a three minute breather I placed my feet on the petals and pushed my body forward. I chanted The Little Engine That Could in my head and focused on the road. I pushed forward and my feet hurt from trying to propel all my weight up that hill. Before I knew it the worst was over and I was on flat ground. I faintly heard Kyle cheer for me and I briefly smiled to myself.  We were approaching the city and I felt weaker by the minute.

I didn’t want to say anything because I already interfered with our bike ride once and I wanted Kyle to enjoy the Montana air and city life. He needed this time to be away from his doctoral duties.

My vision was dotting black and I felt a headache –no a forceful migraine threatening to break open my skull and burst. I planted my feet on the sides of the bike and tried to normal my vision.

I hopped off and tried to call out to Kyle but his name died on my lips and I crumpled like an unsatisfactory piece of paper.

***

Kyles’ POV

I was scared for her. I was scared out of my mind because this is the second time she has passed out in front of me. This was something so much more than utter fatigue and I had no idea what it was.

I’ve been pacing outside of her hospital door for about forty-five minutes but each passing minute felt like another piece of sanity stripping effortlessly away from me. Her doctor went in there not too long ago and I couldn’t hear a word they were saying. Passerby’s were throwing dirty looks my way but the throat clutching anxiety in the air made me forget about all about their presence.

Her door opened but Dr. Gray swiftly shut it so I couldn’t even glance at her. I quickly went up to him invading his personal space and got right to the point. “Is she okay? How is she? Please tell me she’s okay.”

Dr. Gray looked at me with a bewildered expression. “You don’t know?” he asked slowly.

My thoughts were muddled, assuming the worst.

“Huh? Know what?” I said in a tone that was anything but calm. I was getting restless and I swear I was going to break down in tears right then and there.

He clutched his clipboard tighter and glanced back at her door with a worried expression on his face.

“Arisa has cancer,” he said. “She’s diagnosed with Leukemia.”

And I really did break down.

A/N: Poor Kyle. The next chapter will definitely hit you in the feels.