Chapter 1

This part is dedicated to Reese! Thanks for all your hard work! She made the art for the chapters! I hope you like the story Reese!

                                                                      - 

I tucked my wings and dove, the ground coming closer and closer, before spreading my wings and leveling out. It was so refreshing to have the wind whistling in my ears, my hair swept off my back and flowing behind me. I flew like this for several more minutes, blissful and free. 

When I finally swooped to the ground, landing not far from my house, and my bare feet touching the damp moss of the wet rainforest floor, my little sister tumbled out of the house, fumbling towards me. 

"Thora!" she called. I smiled, unable to help myself. I picked her up. She was heavy. After all, she was already almost 4. "Corro! Why are you up so early?" I teased, sarcastically. The sun was up and it was mid morning already. 

"I couldn't sleep last night," she pouted.  I laughed. She was right. It was hard to sleep last night, with Mom and Dad at the gathering. They only get together when there is a threat. 

Corro tugged at my feathers. 

"Let's go fly!" she said. She spread her tiny wings, still gleaming with youth. 

I grabbed her and took to the sky. Her dainty wings couldn't support her weight yet, so I had to fly her around. 

She laughed and spread her arms. We spent the rest of the day with the sky laughing at the sheer joy of it.

                                                               -

I smiled at the memory. That was a few weeks before Mom and Dad died. It was rough, at first. It was hard to even get out of bed. But I knew I had to. For Corro. 

It was just the two of us now. It would come in waves. I would lay in bed, right after waking up, and start to remember. It had been 3 years, to this day, but it still hurt. 

I sat up. There was too much to do, and not enough time to drown in grief. 

After tidying my room and straightening my sheets, I dressed and brushed out my hair. I walked over to the mirror, and peered at my reflection. I straightened my feathers, starting at the fiery red, working my way down to the orange, then yellow, green, and blue, at the bottom. I combed them straight before turning and walking out the door.