Breathless

Breathless
TalyaStorm on archiveofourown.org

Summary:

Sayaka learns the stakes at play when working for Kirari. And it makes her hesitate.
Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:
In the silence of the room, every little noise seemed to scream. The thud from the man falling to his knees. The scribbling of Sayaka's pen, keeping notes, and tallying up the numbers. His heavy breathing gross from its weight and desperation. The clink from Kirari's glass as she sets her cup down. Her amused gaze was dismissive to the man's pleas.

The situation was beyond Sayaka's comprehension, and its weight crushed the breath out of her.

At school, she was used to seeing Kirari conquer and command. Her reign much like a monarch of old. She would bludgeon students with her recklessness and sheer wealth. She would win their loyalty with honeyed words and tempting promises. They would be moved, much like Sayaka herself, by her sheer audacity.
Every action and every game, every word she said earned her the right to her crown.

Sayaka had just never truly realized the true reach of Kirari's reign.

They weren't at school, but at an empty office in the city. The man before them wasn't a student, but a very notable business owner of a shipping company. A parent who thought he could reason and make a compromise with Kirari, thinking, hoping that meeting with her in an unfamiliar and sterile environment would put her at a disadvantage.
He was sorely mistaken on that.

"Do we have an agreement or not?" Kirari asked, cutting through the tension that was building in the room.

The man, whose protests had died, looked up with haunted defeated eyes and nodded.

"Yes."

"Good. Sayaka here will draw up a life plan of sorts for you and your son. I'm looking forward to working with you."

"Yes Ma'am! I'll have it ready first thing tomorrow." Sayaka announced as professionally as she could.

Despite being very much their elder, the man bowed his head.

The sight made Sayaka hesitate, and she resisted the urge to tremble. But such a display would not be acceptable to the defeated man. Not when Kirari had just handed her the ropes that would become his noose.

Kirari let a self satisfied smile show on her face, savoring yet another victory. She turned that predatory grin on her, and it was all Sayaka could do to stay still. She returned to her note taking, avoiding that unnerving stare for the moment

She felt Kirari frown towards her, but soon returned her attention back to the man.

"I think we're done here. You are dismissed."

If he had more to say, it was left unsaid.

Sayaka didn't watch him leave. Her dark eyes remained fixated on her notebook, but she listened as his heavy footsteps grew more and more faint. The scratching scribble of her pen on paper becoming more deafening as a result.

Experiencing something truly was different from knowing about it. She knew that the kids at school were wealthy. They were the children of old money and prestige. The grandchildren of business owners, or politicians. They were the inheritors of the world, and placing these kids in Kirari's debt would have consequences lasting long after graduation.