The Truth

Betty's POV

"I'm going," I told Jughead as I tried to pack my things away.

"Betty, stop. Just think about this. Do you know why you're doing this?" He asked. I looked at him.

"To run away from my problems. So I don't have to deal with this shit anymore." I told him. He sighed and grabbed my hand. I looked up at him. "What?"

"Think for a minute,"

"No! I'm tired of thinking. I just want this all to end. Just help me get out of here, please. That is all I am asking you." I told him. He sat on the bed and with the look on his face I could tell he was wanting me to do the same, so I did.

"Tell me, what is going on. You told me you were going to finish out this year before you get out. We still have three months left. What changed your mind?" He asked. I sighed.

"Veronica. She changed my mind." He gave me a confused look. "For the last month and a half, I've realized how a certain person hasn't been bothering me. Cheryl. I think that's what Veronica means by keeping me safe." 

"You think Cheryl told her she'd leave you alone or something?"

"You don't sound surprised." He looked away. I scoffed. "You knew. You knew Veronica was going to leave me. Why didn't you tell me?"

"She asked me no too. And besides, it should have been here to tell you anyway. I'm not gonna do it for her. I told her if she was going to break your heart she was gonna have to do it herself." He explained. I sighed.

"What a great friend you are," I mumbled.

"Listen, maybe you should go talk to her. She's gonna be at Pops tonight. It might be a good idea to talk to her about all of this." He said. 

"Why would I want to do that? She broke up with me. If she wants to talk she can come to me." 

"And how well did that work out last time?" He asked. I sighed remembering that I had sent her away. "Exactly. Don't you think that this would be a good thing?"

"How do you know she'll be at Pops tonight?" I asked him.

"She called me earlier. She said she wanted to meet with you hopefully today. She said she wants to explain everything to you." He told me. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't think I could face her. She lied to me, Jug. She built my trust up and then she lost it. She did this knowing that was going to happen. Why risk all of this?" I asked him. He sighed.

"You're gonna have to ask her." He said. we sat in silence for a minute.

"When could I meet her?" 

I walked into Pops and looked around to see if I could find her. I looked over and saw her sitting by herself on her phone. I took a deep breath and slowly walked over to her. She looked up at me. I stood there for a second and we just looked at each other. A part of me was telling me to run away. Get away from her. I didn't want to be near her. But the other was telling me to sit across from her. That I should hear her out and listen to her side of the story. I sighed quietly and sat across from her. She smiled nervously. I could always tell when she was nervous.

"Thanks for coming," she said.

"Why did you want to meet me?" I asked softly. I didn't want her to know that she hurt me. I don't need her to be happy. She may have helped me, but I don't need anyone to make me happy. And certainly not someone who broke my heart. 

She sighed.

"B, I-" I flinched a little when she said that. "Betty, I know that I hurt you. I shouldn't have done that. It was all just a stupid deal so you could stay happy and healthy. I didn't want to hurt you. That wasn't my intention." 

"Well, you did. You hurt me unk=like anybody else. I got used to everybody else and the ways they hurt me. But then you. You hurt me, Veronica." I said.

"I know I did, but I didn't want to. I just... I had to do it. It's not like I wanted to." She said. I stayed quiet for a second.

"Tell me why you did it then. I need to know." I asked her. 

"Back when you in the hospital, Cheryl came, and she made me a... deal." She said. I waited. "She said that if I broke up with you and got with her she would stop fucking with you. And she got her friends to leave me alone too. So it kind of worked." She smiled.

"So risked everything between us. The trust you've now lost, me getting better, and everything else. Do you know how much that hurt me?" I asked her.

"Betty, I know. I know I hurt you so badly. It hurt me too. So much." She said. I sighed.

"I don't know if I could ever forgive you for that," I mumbled.

"It really wasn't that bad, Betty." She said. By the look on her face, she knew saying that was gonna mess everything, but she still said it. I scoffed.

"I think I'm done talking." 

"No, Betty, wait," 

"No, just leave me alone for right now, please." 

"Okay, I will."

And I just left.