ONE SHOT

“Kaya ikaw Jessica stop ka muna sa pag b-bar” I heard Cathy one of my friends saying that to Jessica, my friend also. I don’t know what they’re talking about so i busied myself to my phone.

“hey! Ikaw din wag kana ring lalabas ng bahay pag gabi” Cathy said to me while poking my cheek to get my attention.

“yeah” I said while nodding my head even I don’t really know what she was saying. A smile form in my lips because Christmas is coming and I’m excited on what my family will do on Christmas.

The next day, while I was walking in the city with grocery bags in my hand I noticed the serious face and talk of the people I heard them saying “may pinatay na naman” “delikado na talaga ang panahon ngayon” “ke pasko pasko puro krimen” and such.

But I ignored it I don’t care about their problem because I have also a problem that need an immediate solution.

Even in our street, people also talking about the same topic. Pauline one of our neighbors approached me.

“Reika! Heard also about the news?” she said to me. I don’t know what news she was saying.

“what is it?” when I said that her face suddenly turns to sadness.

“umatake na naman yung killer satin kala ko wala na yung Christmas murder na yun, yun pala last year lang huminto”.

“Christmas murder?” I asked and remembered something but quickly ignored it.

By just in time after she finished her story her mother called her so we bid goodbye to each other.

While I was walking towards our home I notice some of the police, patrolling every corner of our street and I assumed that its connected to the two person that went missing but only one is found dead  and the other one is still missing and continuously finding her around the city as what Pauline said.

I continue walking but one of the officers approach me and ask if I know or see the person in the picture when I see the person in the picture shock and horror mirrored my face and cold sweat formed into my forehead and answer him that I know the person in the picture.

He asked me a several questions including my relationship to that person and when did I last saw her and I answer him that she is Cathy my friend and the last time I saw her is before Christmas break.

He also ask me if I know Jessica Bermudo and asked me again the same questions he asked me a while ago and I answer him truthfully that she’s also my friend and the last time I saw her  is the same as Cathy.

I ask him if what’s the matter with Jessica. If she’s also missing, the police officer told me that Jessica went missing a few days ago and found dead.

Tears bream in the corner of my eyes in what he said and in that moment I didn’t know how to react or respond.

When the officer saw my reaction he look at me with a sadness and sympathy. Still shock on the sudden news that one of my friend is missing and the other one is already dead.

I don’t know what to do so I hurriedly went home and as soon as I enter our house my mom greeted me with her mischievous grin in her face I asked where is dad and told me to follow her downstairs I hesitant at first but eventually followed her.

When mom opened the hidden door, I froze in what I see. I see Cathy bathing with her own blood both hands and feet are tied in the chair with a tape in her mouth and daddy is in the corner fixing his tools and I know he knows that we are here.

When Cathy opened her eyes and meet mine tears instantly falling to my eyes as she stares at me with a pleading eyes telling me to help her.

I immediately look away not wanting to see her pleading eyes and situation.

My mother held my shoulder as my father walked towards our direction with a cold and dead stare and handed me his one of his tool I looked at my father and mother with pleading eyes I know why he handed me his tools and I don’t want it.

My mother hardly held my shoulder in that way I know I don’t have a choice but to do what they want me to do.

Even I don’t want it I know I don’t have a choice but to do it because I loved them and I don’t want to disappoint them.

I slowly walked towards Cathy and held her arms. She whimpered to my touch I glanced at my parents who’s now watching my every step I took a deep breath before placing the plies in one of her fingers and cut it.

She whimpered in pain and as soon I see the blood dripping from her fingers I don’t know what happened next.

The next thing I knew I already cut all of her fingers in both hands and feet.

She barely opened her eyes maybe because of exhaustion and losing too much blood.

Then I removed the tape on her mouth, the moment the tape leaves her lips she shouted at me.
“ pano mo to nagawa samin?!” “mga hayop kayo!” and  a lot more because she is too noisy I quickly stitch her lips to make her shut up and get her one eye ball.

She wailed and whimpered in pain but I don’t feel any remorse and in last stance I slowly struck the knife in her heart. She's crying while slowly dying with that she died.

A small smile appeared on my lips after I finish her then I remembered why I did this to her, to the both of them.

Last month, na late ako sa pag pasok dahil na late nakong natulog because of too much watching movies. When I reached our classroom no one’s in there and one of my schoolmate said na absent and first period teacher namin I simply thank her and leave to find my friends.

I saw them in bench, there back is facing me so an idea popped in my head ‘gugulatin ko sila’.

I slowly walked to them but bago ko sila gulatin I heared them talking about me, against me.

They're saying that ‘ I’m maarte’ ‘they don’t really want me to be their friend’ ‘pinagsisiksikan ko lang sarili ko sa kanila’ and a lot more that I don’t want to mention dahil sobrang sakit.

Kahit na ganun nilapitan ko parin sila like the words that they said were nothing, I act like I heard nothing.

But little did they know I already started to loathe them.

So I told my parents that I wanted to try the killings like what they’re doing this past few years.

My parents are against it telling me that they don’t want me to be like them, whose now addicted in killing. But I refused and tell them the real reason pagkatapos kong mag kwento at mag makaawa both of them already agreed to my pleading.

I want to do it as soon as possible but my parents said that we should do it in Christmas Eve. Katulad ng nakasanayan so kahit na sobrang inip nako pumayag nalang ako.

We did a plan on how to do it and how will we kidnapped them.

One day, before our Christmas break and the day before they went missing I invited them to the nearest mall to buy a gift for my parents at first they refused dahil ayaw nilang maabutan ng gabi sa daan but i pleaded to them and said na saglit lang kami they hesitant at first pero pumayag din.

Papalubog na ang araw ng matapos kami so that they quickly said goodbyes to me and walked towards their home I waved them goodbye and smile to them.

Little did they know both of my parents are on this street inaabangan na sila to execute our plan.

I stayed in an hour in the mall before I get home.

When I already home my mother greeted me with a smile and said that our visitors are already there downstairs.

So I followed her there.

I see both of my friends in the chair tied up crying. When they both saw me the shock and hatred is written on their face but I only smiled to them and left the room.

It’s almost a five years since that happened and now me and my parents are making a plan on what will going to do and who’s our next victim this Christmas.

-End