Am I Enough?

Intricate patterns drawn by lazy fingers on skin are what stirred Green from her comfortable slumber. She blinked away the blurriness of sleep and lazily turned to the culprit who had planted the goosebumps onto her sensitive, shiny shell. A small giggle left her lips when she saw an equally as sleepy M&M with squinted, lax eyes.

   Green grabbed Ms. Brown's well-manicured hand and brought it to her own soft lips, planting a single kiss on the back. She then pulled herself up into a  seated position and fumbled for the bedside table, reaching clumsily for an object she knew was somewhere in the area. After an unnecessary amount of flailing, her hand landed on a brown pair of glasses. With delicate yet experienced hands, she opened the temples and placed them on Ms. Brown's face.

   She cupped the other M&M's rounded cheeks and brought their foreheads together, taking a moment to appreciate the present. They were there together, living, breathing. She was grateful. She placed a sweet kiss on her lips and whispered "Good morning, dear."

   Ms. Brown let out a content sigh and a smile lit up her countenance. Green took a fleeting moment to appreciate the way the light of early morning reflected in her eyes before pushing the covers off of both of their resting bodies.

   That was one thing Green had grown to get used to as their relationship grew into something much more serious. Ms. Brown was a stubborn early riser and found herself most productive in the early hours of the day. And though Green wouldn't normally consider herself a morning person, she did if it meant spending time in the radiant presence of the one she loved.

   "I'm going to take a shower, would you care to join me?" Ms. Brown called over her shoulder as she stretched some of the knots of sleep out of her muscles. Green admired her curved, yet slim body as she moved with ease and fluidity

   "Mm, you go on ahead. I'll start a pot of coffee and join you in a minute." Ms. Brown nodded in understanding before sidling up behind the other M&M, circling her arms around Green. She slightly nuzzled her face into the side of Green's before pulling away and heading to their shared restroom. Green couldn't help but notice the way her heartbeat had quickened at the touch.

   Another thing that came with being with Ms. Brown, she had noticed, was that she was completely and indubitably in love with her. They had formally been together for around five years, yet her infatuation never seemed to lessen. Green had previously had her fair share of relationships and, in her early life as a heart-breaker, decided she would live a lifestyle of constant change and excitement. Yet, there she sat in an apartment she shared with her girlfriend of multiple years living a life of routine and consistency.

   Green made her way to their kitchen, managing to grab a white fluffy robe on the trip there. She let familiarity guide her movements, filling up the coffee pot with water and placing the pre-grinded beans into the designated coffee filter. She hesitated before pressing the button, staring curiously at the moderately-sized appliance that sat on the white marble of their countertop.

   Green knew she was satisfied with how things turned out. Though she loved approaching life like an adventure, her love for Ms. Brown satiated her far beyond trivial experiences. But that was only half of the couple's thoughts. As time passed, Green felt as though she was being too selfish. Ms. Brown was an M&M of practicality and structure, always looking to accomplish her ambitious goals. They never spoke of the future, especially since it was something Green was not fond of (long-term plans, that is), but recently it had been weighing on Green's shoulders.

    She was happy. But was Ms. Brown?

   She figured she could simply ask. She would confront her after they had finished their shower, keeping conversation over their morning cup of coffee. Yet she couldn't seem to commit to the idea. Green wanted nothing more than Ms. Brown to be happy, but what if when she brought up the conversation, Ms. Brown would only realize then that she was, in fact, unhappy? Where would Green go from there? She figured it was in her best interest to leave that can of worms unopened.

   She pressed the button and, almost immediately, the coffee maker let out a spurt of water. Green rubbed her hands over her arms, trying to comfort herself and rid her thoughts of any negativity. She pulled her robe tighter around herself and made her way to the bathroom. The sound of rushing water grew louder the closer she came to her destination.