8

"During your life, never stop dreaming. No one can take away your dreams"
― Tupac Shakur

8

Though the attack upon Tabitha had ended, it still had an effect. Struggling to breathe, held aloft by the arms of both Rachel and Jennifer, Tabitha found it difficult to walk. Her breathing came in hoarse, croaking fits and starts and her skin held a greying tinge in the half-moon's light that waxed and waned as clouds passed above.

Rachel, herself, didn't feel at all well. She could feel her skin becoming tight, as did her chest, the threat of an asthma attack lingering at the edges of her own breaths. She fought on, shifting her hip to lift Tabitha as she stumbled one foot in front of the other.

Jennifer, blood drying from the injury to her hand kept a constant watch around them, as though expecting Mara to attack from the towering trees that lined the road. Rachel knew that would not happen. Wherever they were, Mara could attack. She wouldn't launch herself screaming from the tree line. She would appear and tear their lives away where they stood.

Reaching a turn off, Rachel recognised the turning that led towards Tumblefields. Only a short distance away, now, in comparison to how far they had already travelled. Avoiding the rutted ground where tyres of vehicles had ground away the gravel upon the long driveway, tossing the stones aside with abandon, never replaced or repaired since the hospital closed so many years ago, they continued onwards.

"I'm sorry." Gripping Tabitha's jacket to hold her upright, Jennifer cast her eyes towards Rachel, then looked away. "I'm sorry I didn't believe you. Sorry about the things I said."

"Don't worry about it." She tried to brush off the apology, accepting it but trying to move on. Deep inside, the words still ground away at her, however. It hurt because the words weren't far away from the truth, as far as Rachel felt concerned.

"No. I never gave you a chance. Not ever. I guess I was jealous." With a frown, lips tight, Jennifer looked at Rachel again and didn't look away, this time.

"How could you be jealous?" Unable to help herself, Rachel laughed. It seemed so ridiculous to think Jennifer could hold jealousy against anyone. She was beautiful, clever, tall and healthy. Everything Rachel wasn't.

"Because Gwendy liked you so much." Jennifers eyes dipped to the ground. "She admired how in control you always seemed. She liked how you were smart, but never held that over anyone and she always said if anyone needed anything, you'd be the first to offer whatever you had."

Rachel didn't know how to respond to that. She didn't feel as though she were any of those things. She didn't feel smart, or in control, she helped people, sure, if she could, but didn't everybody? She didn't say anything, trying to ignore how much her arms and legs had tired carrying Tabitha.

"Stop. I need to rest. If I rest, I'll be able to walk." Dropping her weight, Tabitha held them both back, curling her legs so she could sit on the ground. Her voice still croaked, her breath stuttered as though something lodged in her throat. "Just for a short while, eh? Who'd have thought I'd be the burden?"

Tabitha gave a hoarse laugh and began to cough as Rachel and Jennifer lowered her to the ground. Standing, Rachel turned and stared along the long driveway. In the distance, she could see Tumblefields. Not a gothic monstrosity from old movies, but a stark, flat building with square edges and little adornments. The only thing that stood out was the glass gabled roof above the entrance hall. She chewed on her bottom lip.

"I think you should both stay here." Turning back around, Rachel crouched, reaching for Tabitha's hand. "You're hurt, Tabitha and you don't need to take the trophy back. I'll do it. I'll take all the trophies back."