An Anonymous Vacation

"Field trip!" Paisley shouted, her arms up in the air. "Field trip, field trip, field trip!" She ran in a circle around the kitchen and disappeared into the living room.

At the kitchen table, Kamree laughed. "I don't think she's distinguished yet the difference between a field trip and a vacation."

A light laugh escaped from Kamree's phone speaker. "Have you two been on a vacation yet?"

Kamree put her elbow on the dark wood table and rested her chin in her palm. "When we were younger, our family went on a vacation or two, but we haven't done a real trip since. Paisley was too small to remember."

"Daxton hasn't taken you two on a trip yet?" Lizzie said over the line.

"He wants to, but he's been busy and we haven't had an opportunity."

"I'm glad I get to be the one to push you to take a vacation."

From the living room, Paisley still shouted. "Field trip! Field trip! Field trip, Daxton! Fiel—" she broke off with a squeal.

Daxton walked in with Paisley slung over his shoulder. "I found a small child running through our living room again."

Kamree jokingly sighed. "Again? I thought we caught the last one."

Daxton tickled Paisley as he put her down. Kamree's little sister wiggled away from him, grinning. "This one keeps saying something about a field trip."

On the phone, Lizzie laughed. "Pais, if you want we can have two field trips and a sleepover. We'll call it a 'vacation'."

Daxton's cologne wafted over Kamree as he balanced his folded arms across the top of Kamree's chair and rested his chin on her head. "Lizzie, are you kidnapping us and calling it a vacation?"

"It's only kidnapping if you say no."

"Say yes!" Paisley said, "Ree, say yes!"

Kamree tried to look at her little sister, but Daxton's chin kept her from turning her head. "Let me get some more information first, Paisley." She paused a moment, noticing the time. "Did you brush your teeth? And is your homework done and ready for tomorrow?"

Paisley deflated. "No."

"Better get to it, baby girl."

"Okay," Paisley dragged out the word. "Lizzie, make sure she says yes."

"I will do my best," Lizzie said.

When Paisley left, Kamree couldn't help the laugh that burst out of her. "I love that girl."

"A vacation, Lizzie?" Daxton said behind her. "When are you thinking?"

"Jackson has a friend who lives in the north by the Heraik Mountains, somewhat off the grid. I thought it'd be fun to get a group up to visit for a couple of days."

"Off the grid?" Kamree reached up behind her to poke Daxton in the cheek. "Sounds like Daxton's kind of thing."

Daxton pressed a kiss under her ear, then sat in the chair next to her. "You make it sound as if I like to wrestle bears in my spare time."

Kamree's gaze wandered over him, analyzing.

"No," Daxton said. "Whatever you're thinking, no."

"Does Jackson's friend know what they're getting into?" Kamree asked. "I wouldn't want us to be an inconvenience."

"We can rent a hotel room somewhere nearby if needed," Daxton immediately offered.

"No, no, no," Lizzie said. "She's totally okay with it. She says she's had the place for a few years now and never had a housewarming party, so she needs an excuse to have people over. You met her and her Destined at Jackson's wedding. Remember Aria Lewis?"