Chapter 6

The wagon lurched over a pothole and I stumbled back on the floor. Sounds of displeasure echoed above me as I found several men and women inching away from me.

"Get up off the floor. You're taking up all the space." someone said behind me and I jumped up moving to the cramped back corner. I took in the men, women, and children in this wagon. Every inch was taken. A putrid stench I didn't notice before swirled through the air and I gagged at that. From their tanned skin and dark hair, I could tell they were all Eraydiens, which meant those guards had only come to Miroadia because of me. Many gave me wary looks of displeasure and I realized my hood had fallen down. My blond hair and pale skin was going to be hard to cover up during the travels.

"Hey!" someone urgently whispered near me. I looked towards the right corner but there was only a woman and her son sleeping in their tattered clothing. "Over here!"

I glanced to my left this time and saw a girl about my age, maybe a year younger than me, curled up by herself. She motioned for me to sit beside her and I shot her a grateful look and tucked myself in beside her.

"You seemed a little lost." Her voice was soft and raspy.

"Just a little?"

Her laugh made me jump. I turned towards her and I could only barely make out her appearance. Her dark waist length hair was made in a sloppy braid and there was a faint bruise underneath her jaw. Her skin was sunken and she was desperately clinging to her ripped cloak.

"Never met an Eraydien, before?"

"What?" my eyes snap back to hers again. She raised a brow waiting for a response. "Oh-sorry. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything"

"You were staring," she responded matter-of-factly

"Right. I was."

"You're odd." She tilted her head as I felt my cheeks burn under her scrutinizing look.

"Hopefully in a good way?"

"Depends. Will you give me your cloak?"

"My cloak?"

"I'm cold and I've been in this god awful wagon for over a month." She pleaded. Tears even began to build up in her eyes.

"Does that act usually work with other people?" I ask curiously.

"Yeah, usually it does." Her expression instantly transformed as we laughed. "You're the first to not fall for it. How'd you know I was faking it?"

"I've pulled that trick one too many times with my mother."

"I like you." her eyes glittered in amusement.

"What's your name?"

"Talia."