Chapter 4 - The conical cap and bells.

Mal has always been a kind of idiot. She's not scared to face off against whatever challenges her. Even if it kills her.

I'll try to say what I remember from that day, the day I unwillingly gave up my ability to live a quiet life.

~o~

"I was walking down the halls from the school store when I was attacked from the front. They were wearing a hood so I couldn't get a good look at their face. They managed to get a good hit in; giving me this nasty cut. What they didn't expect was me staying standing and grabbing them while they were on my torso. I bit them on the shoulder and they ran off, but I lost them. Then, someone yelled 'Herbivores, get back!', and I realized I was out in the open with blood dripping from my jaws. I hot footed it outta there and came here."

"So why didn't you just explain what happened to the police?" Mal asked.

"Who would believe me? There weren't any witnesses and anyone would try to demonize the bloody carnivore."

"That makes sense I guess. Did you get a good taste of their blood?" Mal looked at Tony and hit his shoulder. "What? It's a good question!"

"No. I haven't had a sense of taste since what happened with me and Mallory."

"How did you know I told him that story?"

"You do know that I was conscious the entire time, right?"

"You were?"

"Yeah, I just ran out of energy. I was still awake." This was a great time to mess with Mal. "You really told our most personal story to someone you met a week ago, whom you didn't even trust until what, two hours ago?"

"It was a spur of the moment situation. He asked, so I told him."

"You couldn't have told him that I just tripped? That would be a good excuse."

"I didn't want to make you sound like a loser!" She was a blushing mess. She's too damn easy to fall in love with.

"Oh I don't mind at all. I tell that story to anyone who asks me about it." I gave her my signature grin. "I just wanted to see your cute widdle face when you get aw fwustewred~" I teased.

"You're a Grade-A asshole." She pouted.

"I try. Anyways, can you two do me a favor?" I say, changing the subject.

"What's up?"

"How long can you two hide me here?"

"Not even a day. I rotate out tomorrow." Tony replied. "Can't you go to your parents or something?" Mal nudged Tony.

"Dude" She whispered. "Dicey territory"

"Oh no it's chill. He didn't know."

"Know what?"

"My parents have been missing for years now."

"Oh. I'm sorry for being insensitive."

"It's fine. They're probably somewhere. Without me. Leaving me by myself for six fucking years but whatever. They had better things to do I guess." A lump forms in my throat. The three of us sat in silence. Tony was looking at the ground.

"I know someone that might be able to help." He suddenly chimed in. "They live in a pretty dangerous place though."

"Who?"

"Do you two know what the Back Alley Market is?" I looked at Tony with shock.

"Are you mental? I can't go there!" I said. He really offered this knowing my whole tragic backstory with Mal? Unbelievable.