ℍ𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕠, 𝕊𝕝𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕄𝕒𝕟

Previously...

I stumbled as an explosion went off across the street from us, Leebell catching her balance first and running over.

A villain, huh? This should be fun.

Now...

Rose and I follow as Leebell runs across the street towards the shopping district, where the explosion came from.

My mouth drops open at the scene. There was fire everywhere, with a giant mass of slime that seemed to be twisting in the middle of the street.

Oh. Wait. It had a face. That was a person. With a slime quirk. Hello, Slime Man.

There were several pros on the scene, and a couple of students with UA uniforms on that were helping. I actually recognized them- Fuji Kurosawa and Mizuki Ozaki of the hero course.

Kurosawa-San was using his quirk to funnel the smoke away from the gathering crowd, sweat gathering on his brow from the heat.

Ozaki-San was standing in front of the crowd with their arms spread, pushing them away from the scene. "Please keep your distance! This is a dangerous situation!"

Leebell had joined them, spreading her wings as well as her arms.

I could hear the pros shouting:

"A child was taken hostage?!"

Oh, dear. That didn't sound good. I activated my quirk, and indeed there was a second string coming from inside the slime man- I couldn't see the owner of the string from my angle though. By habit I traced the string, blinking in surprise. It was linked to Ozaki-San, their end wrapped around the middle of their hand, the string covering the middle of the two letters on the back of it. KB.

Maybe Ozaki-San would meet their soulmate today? That didn't matter right now, though.

"You coward!"

Death Arms charged Slime Man, his powerful arms pumping at his sides. He leaped into the air and punched the villain, his fist sinking uselessly into the slime, even getting sucked in by it. He got thrown back and slammed into a wall.

I winced. This didn't look good- if Death Arms couldn't touch this guy I doubt anyone there could.

I heard more shouting as I watched silently, Rose still clutched to my back.

"I won't let sewage like this swallow me! You little—"

The hostage was fighting back hard- and his quirk was amazing. Explosions shot out of his hands, blowing back even the pros around him. He wasn't exactly helping anything by doing that, but he's got spirit.

The villain did a minilogue- what I call shorter monologues- and showed off his own quirk by spiraling slime in the air. Don't see the point in that, but ok.

I heard people gasp as the ground started to shake. I glanced behind me- it's the new hero that debuted today. Mt. Lady.

"W-wait... I need there to be at least two lanes!"

... Are you fucking kidding me?

Kurosawa-San was standing next to Backdraft, using the smoke to smother some of the fire out. Smart- fire needs oxygen to keep burning, so by smothering it in it's own smoke it can't breathe and goes out.

The heroes aren't making any progress though. None of them have good quirks to fight against this guy, so all they can do is try and slow the damage. I grit my teeth as I put Rose on the ground.

"Rose. Stay here."

"Wha-"

But I was already running.

The pros and the kids from school tried to stop me, but I dodged them and kept running.

I am so fucking stupid. Why am I doing this? Whatever.

I activate my quirk, my eyes glowing red with no pupils. The hostage's eyes met mine and time seemed to slow.

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears as I grabbed the villains soulmate string and yanked on it.

His hand jerked forward, and my eyes widened. I didn't even realize I could do this!

I grit my teeth and whip the soulmate string, the villain's hand following it and slammed into a wall. He grunted. It wasn't much but I was doing something.

I whipped his string back and forth, making the villain slap himself in the face.

"Why you hitting yourself? Why you hitting yourself?" I taunted with every hit, hoping I could hide my fear.

I made him slap himself in the eye just as a book hit him in the other. I dropped the string in surprise. "Kid?!"

"Kacchan!" Excuse me?

"Why are you here?!" Ohh. He knows the hostage. Ok.

"My legs moved on their own! I don't know why, though!" Because you needed to help.

Like I did.

He started clawing at the slime, and I grabbed the hostage's string with renewed vigor.

"Hey, kid! Aim your explosions back towards the villain on the count of three!"

His red eyes narrowed and he nodded. I tightened my grip on the string.

"One!" What was all the yelling behind me?

"Two!" Footsteps?

"Three!" As I yelled I heard a deeper voice chime in with me. I yanked the hostage's string forward as he blasted the villain behind him with explosions. And a large fist flew then stopped just in front of the villain, sending a blast of wind that way.

All Might.

I didn't have any time to think about that. I yanked the string to make sure the hostage was flying towards me then caught him, crumbling to the ground.

After a moment he rolled off of me. He didn't say anything, and neither did I. The sky darkened as it began to rain.

The crowd swarmed All Might. Death Arms and another hero pulled aside broccoli kid and began scolding him, a separate group pulled aside the hostage and began praising his quirk, and my friends pulled me aside and reminded me of how stupid I am.

"Are you crazy? You could've died!" Leebell shouted, waving her arms like some kind of anime character.

"You ran off without even telling me what you were doing! I can't believe you!" Rose had her arms crossed and her cheeks puffed.

My gaze drifted to Ozaki-San and Kurosawa-San talking to the rescued hostage. Ozaki-San twiddled their thumbs as they introduced themself, and I saw the boy's red eyes widen. He quietly said his name and Ozaki-San looked just as surprised.

I smiled softly. "I'm sorry for worrying you guys. I just wanted to make sure they'd meet eachother."

Leebell and Rose followed my gaze. Leebell didn't react but Rose immediately melted. "Oh! You knew they were soulmates, so you wanted to make sure they would be able to meet!"

That's what I just said...

The rescued hostage heard and glanced over, his expression softer than before. He locked eyes with me and nodded. I nodded back.

Maybe I can't interfere with fate. But I can make sure the people around me stay alive to follow their destiny. That's all that matters.

I still can't believe you did that! You could've died!

Shut up, Leebell! Anyways, Next Time on The In-Betweens: Our Second First Day!