Soul Bonded

A/N: This story will stay in many ways true to the canon storyline, with the addition of the soul bond. However, as the story progresses into the later years, it will diverge a bit more as necessary. 

Also, I decided for the sake of this story that Dumbelore was never sent away from Hogwarts in Harry's 2nd year.

Also, I own none of this. If I did, I wouldn't be writing a fanfiction.

3rd Person POV

If this is  dying, thought Harry, it's not so bad.

Even the pain was leaving him....

But was this dying? Instead of going black, the Chamber seemed to be coming back into focus. Harry gave his head a little shake and there was Fawkes, still resting his head on Harry's arm. A pearly patch of tears was shining  around the wound - except there was no wound -

"Get away bird," said Riddle's voice suddenly. "Get away from him - I said get away -"

Harry raised his head Riddle was pointing Harry's wand at Fawkes; there was a bang like a gun and Fawkes took flight again in a whirl of gold and scarlet.

"Phoenix tears...." said Riddle quietly, staring at Harry's arm. "Of course....healing powers....I forgot...."

He looked at Harry's face. "But it makes no difference. In fact, I prefer it this way. Just you and me Harry Potter....you and me...."

He raised the wand -

Then, in a rush of wings, Fawkes had soared back overhead and something fell into Harry's lap - the diary. 

For a split second, both Harry and Riddle, wand still raised, stared at it. Then without thinking, without considering, as though he had meant to do it all along, Harry seized the basilisk fang on the floor next to him and plunged it straight into the heart of the book.

There was a long, dreadful, piecing scream. Ink spurted out of the book in torrents, streaming over Harry's hands, flooding the floor. Riddle was writhing and twisting, screaming and flailing and then -" (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 321-322).

A dark thread connected Riddle and Ginny, as Riddle started pulling out the rest of her soul in an act of desperation. Harry, without thinking, leapt between the two and used his body to shield Ginny, so that the thread from Riddle connected to Harry instead. As Riddle started to pull in Harry's soul, he screamed even louder and then disappeared. 

Harry blacked out and Ginny was still not conscious, so neither saw the golden thread that connected the two for a few seconds or the light golden glow around them, nor felt their hands instinctively reach for the other, holding on tightly to the other as the two slept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Dumbledore's office, Mrs. Weasley was inconsolable as her husband held on to her. She was sobbing and he had a look of shock on his face as they thought of their daughter and youngest son dead or dying somewhere in the castle. Fred, George, and Percy all had similar looks of  shock on their faces.

Dumbledore paced behind his desk, seemingly waiting for something. Once he had called for all the Weasleys to be taken to his office, Minerva had reported that Harry, Ron, and Gildaroy Lockhart were missing. He had promptly dispatched Fawkes, then waited for any reply.

Suddenly, there was a golden flash and a single feather floated down to rest on Dumbledore's desk, before pivoting to point in a certain direction.