Here comes the Mutiny #2

Long-time dunce…

The presence of the long-time dunce was a feature of Bergen Academy which was known not only amongst the existing students but the new freshmen as well. Everybody knew the fact that Theodore Miller had to repeat the same year three times. Someone said that this would be his final year, while others said he would drop out.

None of the countless people at the academy thought Theo would be able to graduate. Professor Bernard Wheeler, who was in charge of the third grade’s alchemy classes, was the same.

‘I don’t know why he decided to step foot in the academy… Although he endured four years of it, that impudent fellow will soon return to the countryside.’

He looked at Theo, who was staring outside the window like he wasn’t aware of the gossip.

The relationship between the two of them hadn’t been so bad in the beginning.

Although Professor Bernard was a narrow-minded person who judged a student’s worth by their status, Theodore Miller was from a noble lineage, no matter how low his family had fallen. There was a separate reason for Professor Bernard’s hostile attitude.

It was perhaps two years ago…?

Theo, who had received his first repeater letter, had still been working enthusiastically in class, and Professor Bernard had still been treating him as a student. The relationship between the two had changed due to something which had occurred in one of the alchemy classes.

-Professor, I’m sorry, but that paper you quoted from was withdrawn from the Magical Society two years ago.

-…What? Are you saying that my class is wrong?

-No, the Magic Society said it.

-How dare someone like you say such a thing?!

Maybe it wasn’t such a big deal. If an ordinary student like a duke or earl had made the same comment, he might have accepted it quietly. However, Theodore was a baron from the countryside and a poor student who had repeated a year. Such a person was finding fault with Bernard’s class…

Bernard was proud of his status and authority, so he hadn’t been able to endure being shamed like that.

Since that day, Bernard shook every time he looked at Theo. He had spent many nights worrying about how to remove him from the academy. However, Theodore’s conduct was exemplary, and there was nothing to be faulted except for his practical performance. Therefore, Bernard came up with another approach.

“The combination formula you will be learning today is ‘Full Moon Bead’, which is more complicated than you might think. If you make a mistake, then the precious ingredients will crumble. On the other hand, too much magic power will turn it into a poison, not medicine. But the effect is amazing, enough to allow a half-dying person to catch their breath.”

Bernard kept writing on the board while watching Theodore. He was staring at the blackboard without writing anything down. Even so, that gaze was extremely annoying. Knowing that he had already crossed a irreversible river, Bernard forgot his conscience and laughed.

“Then the question… Theodore?”

“Yes.” Theo answered the call with a gentle expression.

“Explain why ‘Full Moon Bead’ is difficult to combine. Haven’t you been taking my class for three years?”

Some of the students giggled at the taunt. There were a few students who remained expressionless, but they weren’t able to hide their side glances of interest.