Chapter 11

MAVERICK

“Bellamy!” As fast as my feet could move, I made my way across the parking lot of Duke’s towards Bellamy. I was pissing guys off as I was shoving by them to get to her, when I saw her take a stumble and fall to the ground, I tried to go faster until two hands hit my chest and pushed me back.

“Leave her alone, Mav!” Hattie was a good foot shorter than I was and didn’t stand a chance of really stopping me, but her madder-than-hell voice caught my attention right away. “You’re so fucked up, you don’t even see it, do you?”

“Get out of my way, Hattie.”

“No!” She yelled in my face, but I could see Bellamy looking up at me and there was blood coming from her forehead and I wasn’t going to stand around and wait. I wrapped my arms around Hattie’s waist and picked her up and to the side and then ran over to Bellamy’s side and dropped down to my knees next to her.

“Are you okay?” I went to check her forehead and Bellamy just shoved me away and scampered to her feet.

“Get your hands off of me, Maverick!” Her back was up against Hattie’s truck now and I made my way to my feet, looking her up and down to check for other injuries. Her knees were scraped and it looks like her hands were too, but what killed me the most was the tears that were falling down her cheeks.

“Listen, Bella..”

“Don’t call me that! Only my dad gets to call me that and you sure as hell aren’t close to being the man that he is.”

“Fine, fine,” I put my hands up and back off. “You need to know that whatever you think is happening isn’t happening. Back in there, it wasn’t what it looked like.”

“Do you think I’m blind or stupid, Maverick? I say Fake-Tits-Magee with her boobs close enough to your face that you could probably smell the plastic.”

“I didn’t know you were going to be here?”

She throws her hands up in the air, “Oh, so that makes it okay? How the hell do you go from trying to get with me to dry humping that chick in the back of the bar in just a few days? I don’t get it.”

“That’s not what I was doing if you’d just let me explain.” I test the waters by taking a few steps forward and she doesn’t freak out so I take another step. “I wasn’t going to go home with her or anything, I swear.”

“It doesn’t matter, Maverick. You can go home with whomever you would like because we’re not a couple.”

“Come have a drink with me, please?”

Bellamy laughs in my face. Her eyes open and look at mine and she stares at me like she’s studying me for a second. “Holy shit, you’re high as fuck right now, aren’t you?’

“What?”

She starts waving her hand around in my face, “Your eyes are glossy and your pupils basically don’t exist and Jesus Christ that was one of those trashy girls that hang out with the drug dealer. You’re fucking high, Maverick.”

“Who told you that?”

“Nice to see you’re not denying shit.” Bellamy starts to move away to the side, but I put my hand out to stop her. “Don’t touch me, Maverick.” She shoves my arm away. “I told you that you were going to break my heart, I just thought that I had cut myself off from you soon enough to protect myself, but I was wrong. Just do me a favor and leave me alone.”

The lights of a truck almost blind me as it puls up right next to Hattie’s truck. It takes me a moment and then I recognized the man walking in my direction. He places himself between me and Bellamy and then puts his hand on her waist and directs her towards his truck.