•ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 8•

Shubmans' POV

I fiddled with the sleeve of my jacket and rounded the corner. I really needed to tell Aditi. I looked up from the ground and saw Aditi and Sundar.

Lip locking.

A hurricane of emotions took over. Ever had a feeling of being mixed? Like Sweet and Salt? Black and white? Yeah well, those opposites are nothing! Try your best friend kissing your crush. The world started to swirl around. If you'd looked at me at the moment, I would have been red with anger. A vein was pulsing on my neck. I pushed myself forward, toward the two of them. I yanked Sundar by the collar and pulled him away from Aditi.

I felt an overwhelming and odd sense of satisfaction. Sundar's face was bewildered but Aditi's face held pure hate.

I'm not your enemy Aditi...

I wanted to kiss her right then and there, but resisted the urge.

"What?" Sundar broke my train of thought.

"You shouldn't be making out in public." I grunted and looked at the ground. I didn't really have an excuse. I'd just did what felt right.

"Really?" Aditi's voice was airy. I should have known something was wrong, but I nodded.

"Why didn't you think about that when you were making out with Suhana?" Her voice held the hidden hatred she felt toward me. Sundar shot me a glance with a message embedded inside it: Explain this to me later. For some reason, my foot decided to step on Washy's.

"What the heck?" Washy looked annoyed. He winced a bit. I couldn't point out why I did that. An emotional tide had taken control of me.

"Aditi! For Pete's Sake, let me explain that night to you." I started, but Aditi didn't give me the chance to finish.

"Shubman Gill." Her voice was dangerously calm. I looked at her eyes. They were stony and cold.

"Is it so hard for you to stay out of my life?" She kept the same tone. I was hurt beyond measures.

I just want a chance, Aditi...

"I can't." I gritted my teeth.

"Why not?" She scoffed and folded her hands.

Because I like you.

"I need to apologize." I lied, I couldn't exactly just say 'I like you' out of the blue.

"Apology accepted." She smiled warmly, a spark of hope lit inside of me.

"Now get out of my life." She kept her same cheerful tone, that single flickering flame of hope was washed away.

"First off, You left me hurt that night." Aditi started painstakingly slow.

"Aditi, I looked for you! Just ask my parents." I protested.

"I didn't want to see your stupid face again Shubman!" Her voice had started to rise. My mouth was dry as the Sahara Desert.

"You can't stand it when I'm happy can you?" She let out a bitter laugh, and my heart wrenched in a billion different ways.

I want to be the reason you're happy...

"No! When I'm smiling or enjoying myself you just have to swoop in and wipe that smile off don't you." She chuckled darkly.

I want to be the person who makes you smile...

"But do me a favor," She smiled sweetly.

"If I ever do pass away, don't bother attending my funeral. The last thing I want to see is you." She turned and marched away. Leaving me to pick up the pieces of my heart which laid on the floor. A lone tear slipped down my cheek. Washy glared at me before running after her. I could see him comforting her and soothing her anger. It certainly didn't help me. I slumped against the tree.

I hate you, Shubman Gill.

The words from our past echoed inside my head.

But I love you Aditi Roy...

It had taken me three whole years to realize that.

That Fateful Night (When they were both 18)

I laughed at what Ganesh said.

"Talk one more inappropriate thing about Aditi and I'll throw a bat at your face." I laughed, keeping up my smile. Ganesh's laughter fell silent. The room descended into an eerily quiet mood. Anand cleared his throat.

"Do you like her?" Anand gave me a teasing look.

"Yes, very much." I sighed, a little wistfully. Anand on the other hand, was shell-shocked.

I'd planned on asking her out the next day.

The Next Day:

"Hey, Aditi!" I smiled and ran up to the girl who was talking to the teacher. Aditi ignored me.

Weird...

Only later would I get to know that she'd overheard us but didn't stay long enough to find out about the rest.

End Of Flashback.

Someone shook my shoulders vigorously, I came back to reality and saw Sundar. I threw his hands off me.

"Some friend you are." I snorted, letting my hatred creep into my voice.

"What's your problem?" Sundar threw his hands in the air feeling frustrated. I grunted and stalked off. I could hear him following me. He grabbed my arm.

"What happened on that night." Sundar's eyes were blank and emotionless.

"That's none of your business." I bit back harshly. I winced inwardly, I'd never been the type to act like that.

That girl is driving me crazy.

I leaned forward so that I could whisper into his ear.

"Aditi's Mine. Touch her and I will break every bone in your body." I hissed into his ear.

"Since when were you so possessive?" He tried to lighten the dark mood.

"Since my best friend betrayed me and kissed the girl I'm in love with." I replied darkly. Sundar muttered something unintelligible.

"Look. I'll give up any feelings I have for her." Sundar sighed.

"I don't care-" I stopped realizing what he'd said. "Wait what?"

"You'd... You'd do that?" I stuttered. "For me of all people!"

"Dude, you're my best friend. Of course I would." He shrugged.

What did I do to deserve a friend like this?

"Just," He paused for a moment.

"Don't hurt her." He smiled a sad smile. When Washington walked away, I heard more footsteps. I assumed it would be Sundar but it wasn't.

Aditi.

And she heard everything...

I rushed toward her, she stood statue-still. 

My arm snaked around her waist.

"I'm in love with you Aditi."