[28]

By the time morning rolled in, I was an emotional mess

By the time morning rolled in, I was an emotional mess. My mother, along with Simone and Mida, had to drag me out of bed and prep me to say goodbye to Parker. They had to work hard, combing through my hair that looked like it'd been hit by a tornado, touching my face up with a little makeup to mask the dreadful look underneath. They even got me a brand new dress.

But no matter what they did, deep down, I knew I wasn't ready to say goodbye. I would never be.

Sitting before the dressing mirror, hands held together in my lap and cheeks swollen from the overnight crying spree I had. I was in pain. And they all knew it.

Mom came up behind me with a solemn look and put her hands on either of my shoulders, watching my eyes through my reflection. She squeezed my shoulders.

"You'll do fine, Camsy." She smiled warmly. "He'll be back before you know it."

Behind us, Mida chipped in, "Uh. . .he might not be back for a long time. So that statement is a bit invalid-"

"Shut up, Midreda!" Simone cut her off, noticing the stiffness that came over me.

Mida was actually right. Parker had said he didn't know the timeline of the contract. It could run from weeks to months. Even worse. . .years.

I shut my eyes and shook my head. I couldn't do this. Maybe it'd be better for him to just go and get it over with.

Mom's grip on my shoulders increased, "Don't listen to Mida. You know she could be an airhead most times."

"I'm not an airhead!" Mida protested. She glanced at her phone for a second, then walked towards us, coming to squat before me and stare me in the eye. "I mean what I said, Cammie. Garth could be gone for a really long time. But he will be back. Until then, you have the rest of us."

"Yeah," Simone added. "We'll shop twenty-four seven if that's what it'll take to get your mind off him."

Despite myself, I gave them a small smile. Parker was leaving, but he would return, and I'd be waiting. These people were going to be with me until then. The realization felt like ice on my burning soul, like a breath of fresh air. Suddenly, I could live again, even though it was going to be hard.

Mida grinned, getting up. "That's the spirit." She walked to Simone and grabbed her by the hand. "Garth's at the front door," she tried to whisper to her, but I caught the words. It made my heart race. This was it.

Simone plastered on a wide smile. "We'll be downstairs." She shared a glance with mom, oblivious to the fact that I'd already caught on to their act. "You'll be fine," she told me, smiling. And then she exited the room with Mida.

The second the door swung shut, mom spoke up.

"Are you ready yet? Garth's waiting."

With tears of defeat brimming in my eyes, an invisible force gripping my heart, I choked out words as I shook my head.